Long Weekend?

aom

Reaction score
I'm sat in the office and trying to work up the enthusiasm to price a few jobs. One in particular is giving me a headache as it's one of these we don't know what we want or where we want it we just know we need scaffolding. The boys are out grafting today and Monday, I take it most have the long weekend to enjoy?

A weekend at home with the family for me , a few pints tomorrow , easter eggs on sunday and football on Monday.

You still snowed in up there Al ?

Not as bad, the road is now open using the convoy system but it's like driving on a toboggan run it is now stacked that high, way above the cab of the truck. Power is now back on be it generators or mains, most of the hydro boys are away for a well deserved weekend but will be back Tuesday when the real repairs begin in earnest. We picked up a wee bit work off them, hopefully more to come.

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

Just a normal weekend here aom.Dealing with people who have no idea what they want is pretty usual. I always try to convince them to have something that makes a great profit for us!!

I think this one is going to be a stab in the dark. It's cantilevered round a fair size church steeple so there will be a fair weight hanging in the air, so they really need to know exactly what they want before they pay a lot of cash for a design they are going to change at some point and pay a lot of cash again when I tell them it won't work. As you say, pretty normal really.

Glad its a bit better , it must be an absolute nightmare especially for the old folk , seen all the farmers trying to get their sheep dug out of drifts not a good start to the year for a lot of people , at least you got a bit of work from it

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Is it beamed through the steeple windows AOM ?

A lot of farmers lost a heap of livestock and some may never recover as I know they are not insured against things like that, farming used to be a money maker and plenty of gentleman farmers round here at one time but not many now, they get more money from wind farms as they do farming livestock. The old ones did suffer, some were evacuated to an air base to temporary shelters and free snack bars were sent down to feed the locals, unbelievable when you think about it.

No beams through the windows, and you know these angled buttresses that come off these towers at an angle, well they spoil just shooting out a pair of beams and hanging your back set off them, they are about 1200mm at the bottom but step in the higher you go. I haven't spoken to a designer yet as there is not even enough information to start a discussion but I was thinking it may be a single beam on each side, throw your double set across the back bolt it up with the Apollo bolts and set, and repeat on multiple lifts till you get the desired results, just a thought at the moment though.

Them jobs are never designed the way we see them AOM .
We have one up at the moment on Band and Plate drilled and fixed with expanding raw bolts
its got 7 fully boarded lifts on it , plus a temporary roof
Unbelievable what a Band and plate will hold in shear

Do you have them backing plates that Apollo sell for the bands and plate they are semi circle with 2 drilled holes , well worth the money as they are a great fixing , you get them for the 1 hole band or the 2 hole band

Them jobs are never designed the way we see them AOM .
We have one up at the moment on Band and Plate drilled and fixed with expanding raw bolts
its got 7 fully boarded lifts on it , plus a temporary roof
Unbelievable what a Band and plate will hold in shear

Do you have them backing plates that Apollo sell for the bands and plate they are semi circle with 2 drilled holes , well worth the money as they are a great fixing , you get them for the 1 hole band or the 2 hole band

half moons.

we are in but just today all strip jobs for the guys i had to got to site scaffold was put up for 1 company for solar install the company in dispute with home owner
when we got there a diffrent installer was putting solar panels on my guys rang me and i said we had to strike then home owner tried sob story stuff but as neither of them had paid for the scaffold the original installers had paid us up front
i said we had to take it down H/O gets all shirty gonna call police blah blah blah my guys pull the tag to begin H/O rings me making his police threats i told hi HSE would fine him and the onsite installers for working unsafely on a scaffolding that had been de-commissioned and hey presto the installers said they could no longer continue and left site and my guys did their job
we dont like confrontation our payin customer has for what ever reason had their job halted and some other firm has jumped on their paid work to get a freeby an we couldnt allow it

That all sounds very dodgy Mitchells :unsure:

Does your customer then loose the money they paid for the scaffold as they didnt do the job

That all sounds very dodgy Mitchells :unsure:

Does your customer then loose the money they paid for the scaffold as they didnt do the job

not to sure i rang to let them know what was going on while driving out there as they had done the solar frame on the roof already and been stopped by home owner from completing i would hope they are covered they asked if my guys could photo evidence the work being undertaken which they did

in fairness the other set of installers pulled off (before the photos were taken) havin put 1 pannel in place and i explaid if the roles were reversed their boss would want the same

lets just hope the matter is sorted for all and the H/O ends up payin for everything

Why didnt your contractor tell you immediately there was a dispute?

There was a few occasions in Germany where there had been problems with payment where we started stripping the scaffold with plasterers etc still working on it. Led to some interesting shouting matches between Germans and Brits. Neverless like generally in Germany we came out on top sending Jerry running for cover.

Most solar installs are only up for max 7 days they dont need to let us know their internal hassle as long as it has no impact on us as in this case they just confirm its to come down
and we do as requested it just so happens this is a bank holiday and i recon the home owner was tryin to pull a fast one sharkin a job from 2 companys and gettin his install for newt

Quite right too, not the first time I have done it and would do it again in a heart beat if someone tries it on. Fine on the small jobs but a complete pain in the ass on something of note.

Phil, we do have the band and plate ties, we just call them set. I bought a load of them half moon things but never got the 2 hole type, we had to double up the single type but it worked, maybe I should have got my fingers rapped but it still worked. Another point I was told to watch for was the single type may actually be considered better as 2 holes drilled so close together can actually weaken a tie. Don't shoot the messenger.:confused:

quite right too, not the first time i have done it and would do it again in a heart beat if someone tries it on. Fine on the small jobs but a complete pain in the ass on something of note.

Phil, we do have the band and plate ties, we just call them set. I bought a load of them half moon things but never got the 2 hole type, we had to double up the single type but it worked, maybe i should have got my fingers rapped but it still worked. Another point i was told to watch for was the single type may actually be considered better as 2 holes drilled so close together can actually weaken a tie. Don't shoot the messenger.:confused:

in the case of two holed band and plate are you not supose to tie the top hole an leave the bottom as you have said could weaken both ties ?

I would say it's as per detail on the drawing marra, think the designers are split on that as far as I can tell.

Top Bottom