Long Story.

aom

Reaction score
I will try and keep this short as it has feck all to do with scaffolding.

Does anyone have any idea if consumer rights are the same when selling from business to business?

I bought a jeep or rather ordered one and when I went to collect it there were 2 massive stone chips in it and numerous scuff marks on the paint work. I was that suspicious about whether it was new or not I checked the V5 form but sure enough it was only registered on the 31st of March but it looked as if it had done a couple of thousand miles at least.

After I told them to ram it they threatened me with lawyers but I quoted the consumer act 96 I think but to be honest I wasn't sure if it was more for individuals rather than business's.

Iam not sure Aom but i would have done exactly the same , at the end of the day you didnt order a nice new jeep with chips out of it , or scuffs on the paintwork, so they have not delivered what you agreed to pay for , i would have said when you can get me what i ordered i will Gladly pay you for it :D

You need to tpoint them in the direction of the sale of goods act 1979, the item being sold has to be fit for purpose and if it has dents and scaratches it clearly wasn't see below.
1-FIT FOR PURPOSE
That is a legitimate claim as long as you are using the item for the purpose for which it was intended. This is the principle of fitness for purpose. There is no point claiming that paint thinner has had adverse effects if it is not being used as paint thinner! Similarly, if you are commissioning the manufacture of a product and do not specify the purposes ,

2-SATISFACTORY QUALITY
Satisfactory quality is defined as what a ‘reasonable person’ would regard as acceptable, and takes into account factors such as price paid, fitness for purpose specified, appearance and finish, freedom from minor blemishes, safety and durability. If it becomes apparent that an item is not of the quality you were led to expect, you were not aware of any such defect when you bought it, and you bought from a seller acting ‘in the course of a business’ (i.e. not an informal sale), you are quite within your rights to go back to the retailer, even after some months of use. If a product develops a fault within the first 6 months, the assumption will be that this defect was present at the time of purchase and you will not have to prove anything. If you are returning an item after this 6 month time period, this automatic assumption does not apply, and it may be up to you to prove the fault did not occur through misuse. You should also consider aspect of durability and acceptance.

3-DURABILITY
Durability is another recent addition to the definition of quality. How long should a dishwasher or a vacuum cleaner or a printer last? This is a very common source of complaint and one which manufacturers were always quick to turn back on the consumer, requiring them to provide proof that the item did not conform to contract specification from the start, or implying an element of misuse or neglect. Thanks to the new European Regulations, UK law now offers greater protection for consumers against products which develop faults within the first 6 months. The assumption is now that if it breaks down within this time period it cannot have conformed to the contract specification when purchased and you have the right to an automatic repair or replacement. Having said this, items which should last several years can still break down after this six month period. If the retailer or manufacturer’s warranty has run out, the shop is often quick to say there is nothing they can do before attempting to sell you an extended warranty. This is misleading. If you buy something which should last 7 years but breaks down after a year and a day, you can still claim it was of poor quality in reference to the durability aspect.

So there you have it, tell them to f*ck right off, I think looking at item 2 your jeep was never satisfactory in the first instance.

i do not know anything about consumer rights but i know what you mean i bought my new caddy last april and had to renew the tax in febuary

aom **** whatever act just tell em bollox

I must admit I told them to fook right off and I think they new they were in the wrong as they threatened me with the legal team right away and for me that was the exact moment I decided I didn't want the fekin thing.

Nice to be able to hit them with some buzz words but was a bit worried the business connection might mean less rights and protection but thanks boy's.

Just say bollox mate and f uk them bunch of mugs !

If it isn't as described in the advert ie: brand fukcing new then under the sale of goods act you can tell them to do one! & if they continue with the legal bollix tell them you will take this matter to the trading standards.
Have a look in the front of the yellow pages alistair there's a load of guff about this sort of stuff there.

For some reason they seem to think they are within their legal right to repair up to 5 panels on a brand new car, I can't see that being the case?

Many new cars have paint and or panel damage repaired before they go to their 1st owner.

Always buy large expensive items with your credit/Debit card you have better consumer rights. plus you can use their people to back you up.
Downside is:you have to pay a extra 1% poss 2% on top, but you get the points, so a little bit of gain.
I would not have accepted the truck. They were trying it on the rascals.....

I would say so, they said they never noticed but it was like a big fook off balisha beacon. They new it was in poor condition and thought I still had heather coming out my ears.

I would never pay top dollar for a brand new car damaged repaired with cattaloy before you even drive it off the forecourt swifty. Maybe a bit awkward but as I said before, paying top dollar never bothered me too much as long as I get top quality.

Just tell them you'll speak to the local trading standards and see if their @rse goes.

I'm sure they would love all the free publicity the local paper would give them for selling old stuff as new

Many new cars have paint and or panel damage repaired before they go to their 1st owner.

I can understand that a new car could have scratch marks on them as they have delivery miles , but why would you not repair it before you gave it to the customer , save a lot of arguments and the customer would ever know

I mean the damage that happens on the ferries or in the holding yards before they get to the dealers.

Maybe but at least make an attempt at pulling the wool over my eyes before presenting it to me.

For some reason they seem to think they are within their legal right to repair up to 5 panels on a brand new car, I can't see that being the case?

would you unbox a new washing machine with a dent or a new fridge frezzer with damage and say okay no worries!!! as scaffy says boll!cks and see you in court matey!!! new car or van means new not damaged cheecky baskets only can happen in england

When i bought my navara i ordered the bull bars and other add ons,so they rang me up saying your new motors ready,when i got there it was scratched in about six different places that their own fitters had done fitting the extras,they were proper noticeable f*ck off scratches,and they seriously wanted me to accept a brand new vehicle in that condition,i did'nt,until it was repaired to my satisfaction,but would'nt you think that at least one of the fitters would think to take care with what is an exspensive item:mad:

Remember that the next time you send your roughest squad round Trampledgardens way.:eek:

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

I never really got a choice BF, their opening gambit was to threaten me with their lawyers right away. To be honest I think it was that bad they just thought they would chance their arm, I must look like a right fekin chookie.:embarrest:

Top Bottom