load on a beam

philliosmaximus

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the loading capacity would be on a 450 alloy beam spanning 4.5 meters supported one end on a 9 inch wall and supported on standards on the other end :wondering:

what make of beam is it? they have wildly differing capacities

Hi Steve the beams are Layer or Apollo we have both, the job is a light weight loading bay and our designer has gone on holidays to The Falklands and a HSE guy wants to know what load they will carry there will be 3 standards on each beam on the side supported with scaffold

Many thanks Steve , apparently some of the best salmon fishing in the world and its Summer out there :)

I've heard the sheep out there are pretty frisky this time of year. :toung:

my typing is getting worse

that should read

BM=15.7kN.m

probably a good spot for submarine spotting at the moment as well

Layher 450deep aluminium beams have a maximum allowable bending moment of 13.94kNm with top chord lacing at max. 1.0m centres (bottom chord 2.0m centres). So for a max. span of 4.50m, max. point load at centre span = 13.94kNm*4 / 4.50m = 12.39kN, but including for self weight of beam at 0.052kN/m, the max. centre point load is 12.28kN = 1.25 Tonne.

my typing is getting worse

that should read

BM=15.7kN.m

probably a good spot for submarine spotting at the moment as well

Note that this is the maximum allowable bending moment, so the max. point load at centre span of 4.50m = 13.85kN = 1.40Tonne.

Last edited:
Top Bottom