LIVE sub staTion

• Thread starter steveo south east
  • Start date
S

steveo south east

Gents the PC client requires a protection scaffold for a live sub station he is not allowed to turn off the power
Should I base out around it and beam over or build the scaffold and crane it over
What other precautions should I be aware of apart from using my scaff step and making sure that my ops dont trip over kerbs thanks

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

Do we have to notify the electricity company

Big thanks

You can base out and beam it as long as you have an HV person in attendance all the time+make sure all paper work is in place.

Hi john cheers for the responce just curious to what HV means? high voltage high viz highly volatile

i would definatley make a call to the national grid steve i would imagine its one of those outside voltage subs and not in a substation as the gates are mained and you wont get in without tickets and a permit but we do come across the outside ones as well all need permits and authorisation wouldnt touch it without contacting the main contractor

A few years back preforum & sg4- we came accross the same problem.sub stationnext to a demo job.we simply scaffolded either side of the sub station...earth spiked both sides & beamed over the top ...then double boarded it.
When the southern electric guy turned up he wasnt too pleased we hadnt informed him but couldnt fault he job
But times av changed - i think u may need a ticket to go anywhere near it as well as a full set of rams/drawngs etc & a 1st aider i beleave..go carefull dont try to go without it all cos when jobs like this go tiits up someone ends up either in the dock or in the ground....good luck wiv it hogh

Don't put a tube anywhere near it until you have spoken to the Electricity provider. Electricity has a habit of jumping/flashing over onto steel scaffold tubes so by putting a tube near it you could infringe a 'safety distance' and get a nice electric shock of anything between 11,000 volts and 132,000 volts.

Thanks everyone

Don't put a tube anywhere near it until you have spoken to the Electricity provider. Electricity has a habit of jumping/flashing over onto steel scaffold tubes so by putting a tube near it you could infringe a 'safety distance' and get a nice electric shock of anything between 11,000 volts and 132,000 volts.

All cable are insulated and job is off for design as we speak

its going to get built and then craned over finally get to do something interesting and out of the Normal

dico: i would definitely make a call to the national grid steve i would imagine its one of those outside voltage subs and not in a substation as the gates are mained and you wont get in without tickets and a permit but we do come across the outside ones as well all need permits and authorisation wouldn't touch it without contacting the main contractor

That's with the PC/CDM co-rdinator they must have been in touch pre contract surely!!

High voltage competent person. There is lots of paper work that goes with this type of job when current is still on. Don't let them fob you off.

is this someone from the national grid?

national grid (sap) engineer will issues the competent person the permit to work and he will be incharge of the working party so yes steve.

If it is a small residential substation within a brick wall then it would more than likely belong to UK Power networks or Scottish and Southern. My advice would be Let the PC deal with the contacting of the electricity company and absolve yourself of all responsibility if it all goes wrong...oh and just because a cable going into a piece of equipment has a sheath round it, it does not mean you will not get a shock. The cables always start and finish at switchgear, it is the switchgear and possible open terminals that can potentially be live.

I'd rather handle tube in a Sub than stand on a leaner...

Update for you all the actual span is 5 metres so we are spanning with 6mladder beams 1m centres with dolly independents 6mx2.1m either side the substation itself will be covered in wooden hoarding before we start. Haven't seen the RAMS yet so I cant let you know if I have to attach a earth strap to my helmet but will update you when I do

Last edited:
Update just to let you know I have met a rep from electric company to give me keys and he has gone through do's and don'ts the RAMS are the same except for if you or your mate or material falls in you have to leave them unless they are not being electrocuted

Top Bottom