Legislation or Just Best Practice?

kaza

Reaction score
Hi there, can anyone tell me if it is legislation or just best practice to submit a design for any scaffold over two and a half storeys?::unsure:

In short Kaza, as long as you follow either tg20 for t&f or manufacturers guidelines for system, and the guidance on installing and testing ties of course you can go a lot higher than 2.5 stories without involving an engineer.

Aom,anyone,how much higher,and when does a designer/engineer have to be involved?

Last edited:
To assess the maximum height of the scaffold you must do the wind calculation, it culminates in many factors, how many boarded lifts, what the scaffold is to be used for, what tie pattern it will need. All information is in volume 1 TG20:08 and the recently issued supplement. If you don't have one it's available from the NASC. Www. NASC.org.uk

Aom,anyone,how much higher,and when does a designer/engineer have to be involved?

For the thicko's like me who cant count how many toes they have, I use smart scaffolder to prove wind calcs and tie patterns. Most of our job's are well under but now and again we do get asked to prove it.

For the thicko's like me who cant count how many toes they have, I use smart scaffolder to prove wind calcs and tie patterns. Most of our job's are well under but now and again we do get asked to prove it.

AOM how have you found the smart scaffolder does it do what you need ???

Hi MS, I love the smart scaffolder from Cads. As I said, we don't get asked that much but when we do it's nice to have it all at your finger tips. I think the best use was when the HSE turned up on one of our sites after we were long gone and the agent couldn't find the hand-over stating the load class, so he told him to get a drawing done and naturally he called me in a bit of a panic. It took me most of the weekend but you really should be able to do it a lot quicker and he forwarded it all on to HSE who accepted it no problem. The model it is good as well, we used to just load the trucks until the mud flap hit the ground then go and build until it was empty. Now it's a bit more controlled as we know exactly how much material is needed for each job and truck loaded accordingly. One of the most essential bit of kit we have now and it makes our estimates look a bit more professional as well.

Top Bottom