ledger staggers

whingell

Reaction score
hello every one.just been working on housing site in the west.all the ledgers and standards are staggered on a three lift job, now safety bloke saying joints on ledgers are too close to standards he wants each one at 300mm from standards.that seems a bit exact to me.

hello every one.just been working on housing site in the west.all the ledgers and standards are staggered on a three lift job, now safety bloke saying joints on ledgers are too close to standards he wants each one at 300mm from standards.that seems a bit exact to me.

tend to agree with vancouver on this one

safety guy...fcuking MUPPET! just seperate his nose 300mm from his face.. not condoning physical abuse.. but in this matter... better still.. print out a copy of this particular thread and land it on his desk.

have a look around the site and then highlight his inefficiencies and tell the boss in the office the situation regerding the hassle you are getting

Can't understand how 'Safety Guys' can mis interprit guidelines and limits. Asholes! As been said, they have to find a fault...I'm sure there's a comission thing going on.

Ask him to bring the book to you to show you where his info is coming from.

Then gently place one hand on his shoulder, take the said book in the other hand, then tw@t him with it

daftscaff if spot on, do a Safety Audit on him and the Site then submit your observations to the Principal Contractors Site Office ;)

always remember its all guidelines theres no legislation they think they know law they know fewck awe as they say in these parts ;)

Hi Whingell,
I like to think I've been around a bit but I have never heard of a joint being too close to the standard, unless it interferes with either the standard to ledger connection or the installation of the transom or brace within 300mm of the node.
However; refer your man to TG20:08 Section 9, para 9.2
"Joints in ledgers may be made with sleeve couplers or expanding pins. Where tension is likley to occur, only Class B sleeve couplers should be used. Joints in ledgers on the same lift and in adjacent lifts should not normally occur in the same bay. However, when guardrails are to remain permanently in place, the absence of a joint in the guardrail in any bay may be accepted as giving sufficient continuity to the scaffold to permit joints in ledgers above and below in the same bay. Where joints are necessary they should be positioned at a distance not greater than one third of the span between adjacent standards"

No mention there about minimum distance.
hope this is of help
regards
Alan

Last edited:
Hi Whingell,
I like to think I've been around a bit but I have never heard of a joint being too close to the standard, unless it interferes with either the standard to ledger connection or the installation of the transom or brace within 300mm of the node.
However; refer your man to TG20:08 Section 9, para 9.2
"Joints in ledgers may be made with sleeve couplers or expanding pins. Where tension is likley to occur, only Class B sleeve couplers should be used. Joints in ledgers on the same lift and in adjacent lifts should not normally occur in the same bay. However, when guardrails are to remain permanently in place, the absence of a joint in the guardrail in any bay may be accepted as giving sufficient continuity to the scaffold to permit joints in ledgers above and below in the same bay. Where joints are necessary they should be positioned at a distance not greater than one third of the span betweeb adjacent standards"

No mention there about minimum distance.
hope this is of help
regards
Alan

alan
although your answer will keep him quiet and prove him wrong, i much prefer some of the prior recommendations :D

alan
although your answer will keep him quiet and prove him wrong, i much prefer some of the prior recommendations :D

You may be right Jackdan, there was a time when I would have been there first but age has mellowed me somewhat:)

Alan

Yet again your experience and due diligence to the NASC T G Documents have revealed the lack of Practical and Theoretical knowledge by a somewhat self elected Scaffold Inspector masquerading as a Safety Officer.

Perhaps an appreciation course on the finer points of Scaffolding Engineering may go some way to enlighten and eel-ay any arbitrator statements made by this particular Safety Officer---if all else fails one may have to resort to the old skool ways and bitch slap him :eek:

Regards

Garry...

Its within 300mm.. tell him to **** off, drag him round back of cabin and dry arse power bum the cu.nt

Whingell............. welcome to the Forum,

Is your first post a send up :wondering:

Even the worst 2 day inspector I've met, has a little more knowledge than your chappie.Did you not point out to him his mistake in quoating 300mm from standard,and what was his reply ? You are a qualified scaffolder I take it

When these inspectors come safety officers do these courses if they are not a qualified scaff they should be made to do a practical week when they have to work with a squad,perhaps when they see exactly how hard and how much thought goes into these jobs then they mite not be so quick to pick non existent faults.

Problem seems to be with the scaff not able to stand his ground. Maybe not all scaffs understand their trade,enough to argue the point.

Top Bottom