Learning to be a scaffolder

JamesH4ll

Reaction score
Hi all I'm new to the forums so forgive me if this is in the wrong section.

Due to being made redundant from my previous job last christmas of all times!
as you can imagine I went through a bit of a depression stage, now that I have finally managed to sort my head out so to speak I'm looking to gettting back into work, now my previous experince is all office jobs etc but I literally cringe when thinking of having to return to an office job.

I'm wanting to get into a trade hands on heavy labour job as im not affraid to put the graft and long hours in and have never been affraid of heights so looked into scaffolding.

So basically I'm lookng for some guidance on what options are available to me, I live in Dinnington which means Sheffield, Rotherham, Worksop, Wakefield area are accessible, I know like most trainee positions etc money will not be great until you qualify and have no problem with that, I'm willing to put the graft in in order to qualify that means getting my hands dirty doing long hours so be it.

My main obstacle is how does an un-employed 28year old get into the Scaffolding trade, I know there are train 2 gain awards which can help get level1+ but to get that im under the impression you need to be employed so thats that out of the window. The next route would be through UTN which i saw posted somewhere on these forums:

UTN Training - Free Training

which offer funded training to people who have just been made redundant in the last 13weeks and are claiming state bennefits but as I was made redundant 9months plus ago and have never signed on for Jobseekers as I felt it not right to sponge I face the predicament of prob not qualifying for that either and really dont have £850 that I can pay for the course + equipment needed.

I have also looked in to doing some sort of modern apprenticeship, but again met the obstacle of my age as school leavers and anyone under the age of 19 get priority as this is fully funded by the goverment where as 19+ is only part funded by goverment leaving the employer to pick up alot of the expense which I highly doubt they will and will opt for the fully funded 17yearolds etc.

Any advice and info is welcome and thanks in advance to people willing to help a guy in need out.

Rgds

James.

Do not worry too much about courses and qualifications, first of all ring round some firms and get on as a labourer, you need to be a good labourer before you can become a good scaff! and then let nature take its course....
Good luck......

James, I'm really sorry to see this has been posted for a week now and it's only tonight you are getting replies, not sure how it was missed but some requests obviously do.

Did you read Jason Gibbs sticky on scaffolding, some good stuff on that, then as Vertigo say's just get yourself out there and get a job labouring. Not many firms take on a trainee scaff without working him first as a labourer to see how he does. Good luck and be prepared for a heavy few shifts.

Hello mate.

If you fancy a read up, i made a sticky with as much info as i could pack into it for people to look at.

The Fully Comprehensive Guide to Scaffolding. (Click here)

Its proper long, lol.
But theres links to sites and info that can help give you a little head start in Scaffolding. :)

I hope this helps.
Good luck mate.

Jay.

i have sent a pm with some contact names of firms i know r busy in sheffield to get you started hope it helps

Hi all I'm new to the forums so forgive me if this is in the wrong section.

Due to being made redundant from my previous job last christmas of all times!
as you can imagine I went through a bit of a depression stage, now that I have finally managed to sort my head out so to speak I'm looking to gettting back into work, now my previous experince is all office jobs etc but I literally cringe when thinking of having to return to an office job.

I'm wanting to get into a trade hands on heavy labour job as im not affraid to put the graft and long hours in and have never been affraid of heights so looked into scaffolding.

So basically I'm lookng for some guidance on what options are available to me, I live in Dinnington which means Sheffield, Rotherham, Worksop, Wakefield area are accessible, I know like most trainee positions etc money will not be great until you qualify and have no problem with that, I'm willing to put the graft in in order to qualify that means getting my hands dirty doing long hours so be it.

My main obstacle is how does an un-employed 28year old get into the Scaffolding trade, I know there are train 2 gain awards which can help get level1+ but to get that im under the impression you need to be employed so thats that out of the window. The next route would be through UTN which i saw posted somewhere on these forums:

UTN Training - Free Training

which offer funded training to people who have just been made redundant in the last 13weeks and are claiming state bennefits but as I was made redundant 9months plus ago and have never signed on for Jobseekers as I felt it not right to sponge I face the predicament of prob not qualifying for that either and really dont have £850 that I can pay for the course + equipment needed.

I have also looked in to doing some sort of modern apprenticeship, but again met the obstacle of my age as school leavers and anyone under the age of 19 get priority as this is fully funded by the goverment where as 19+ is only part funded by goverment leaving the employer to pick up alot of the expense which I highly doubt they will and will opt for the fully funded 17yearolds etc.

Any advice and info is welcome and thanks in advance to people willing to help a guy in need out.

Rgds

James.

Welcome to the forum James, do you know anybody in the scaffolding industry who would give you a chance and take you on as a labourer, this would be a much better option for you, see if you like the game especially now winter is on its way

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

@ aom, dont worry mate think there was an issue with the post to begin with as it didnt actually show on the forums til a couple of days after posting it.

@ Jason Cheers for the link mate I will go have a good read:)

@ General manager, unfortunately I dont know anyone in building/construction, Il have a ring round the firms Sheff Scaff sent to see if any are willing to take me on as a labourer.

Rgds

James

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

@ aom, dont worry mate think there was an issue with the post to begin with as it didnt actually show on the forums til a couple of days after posting it.

@ Jason Cheers for the link mate I will go have a good read:)

@ General manager, unfortunately I dont know anyone in building/construction, Il have a ring round the firms Sheff Scaff sent to see if any are willing to take me on as a labourer.

Rgds

James

Keep trying James, i hope everything works out for you

hi james, take a look on directgovtjobs type in scaffolding choose all GB there is scaffolding labourers jobs on there. good luck

Welcome to the forum James

Find the address of some of your local scaffold companies, and go into the yard early morning (6.30/7am) and ask to speak to the supervisor/contract manager. These are the guys that set you on off thier own bat.

Don't be put off by a refusal to employ you, go back a week later and ask again put a strong case as to why you want the job. It will help if you have a driving licence and your own transport

I wish you well for the future

Welcome to the forum James

Find the address of some of your local scaffold companies, and go into the yard early morning (6.30/7am) and ask to speak to the supervisor/contract manager. These are the guys that set you on off thier own bat.

Don't be put off by a refusal to employ you, go back a week later and ask again put a strong case as to why you want the job. It will help if you have a driving licence and your own transport

I wish you well for the future

spot on rigger:)

Top Bottom