Layher Beams vs Haki Beams?

J

Jason-Gibbs

Morning.

We have a selection of Layher and Haki Beams in the yard.
Where before, ive used them together and mixed and matched the 2 types in the same job, but to be fair ive never really liked doing it.

Theres tiny differences in the Beams, with the Layher ones having a more 'square' Bracing section running down the length of the Beam and the Haki ones having a rounder Brace/Diagonal section - or so it seems to me anyway.

Ive noticed that the diagonals are spaced slightly different too, with makes putting Puncheons and Braces in the same places a nightmare too.

With the subtle difference in the how the Beams look, does this have an implication in the stress loadings and weight loadings of the Beams?
Can on type take extra weight then the other?

Another question for Alan Reade i think. :)

Jason,
All of the alloy beams have slightly different strengths in bending and shear. They should never be mixed in the same job because of this, but also due to issues with lacing and bracing as you've stated. They also can't generally be joined end to end due to different spigots and hole locations. If overloading were to occur or if one failed it would be very difficult to prove how the failure occurred and the manufacturers would step back and not take any responsibility due to mixing of beams.

Just have a word with the cape designers, they have a couple of really technical people in their office.

mixing anything seems to be very taboo, however a bigger issue with ally beams in marine environment is the old galvanic reaction problem.
non like metals being sacrificial to the other, cathodic and anodic, especially if you are joining them with steel spigots and they will be up for a while, hard to check inside the beam where the join is.

back to the beams, biffo is right the makers would run for the hills, but really they would blame prior misuse or not being braced properly in any case.

if both beams are T5-T6 alloy and conform in all other ways, new or newish, would it not be practical to go off the lower rated beams calcs and as always follow the design?

This mixing thing is going to come to a head sooner rather than later. It's all very well for the small time guys like myself who can control where and when they buy their stock, but the bigger you are sometimes the more exposed you can be.

My advice, seperate them and only put them on one specific job.

Morning.

We have a selection of Layher and Haki Beams in the yard.
Where before, ive used them together and mixed and matched the 2 types in the same job, but to be fair ive never really liked doing it.

Theres tiny differences in the Beams, with the Layher ones having a more 'square' Bracing section running down the length of the Beam and the Haki ones having a rounder Brace/Diagonal section - or so it seems to me anyway.

Ive noticed that the diagonals are spaced slightly different too, with makes putting Puncheons and Braces in the same places a nightmare too.

With the subtle difference in the how the Beams look, does this have an implication in the stress loadings and weight loadings of the Beams?
Can on type take extra weight then the other?

Another question for Alan Reade i think. :)

A simple one for me Jay, don't mix and match it will result in a problem that you neither need nor want.
Your Yard man should not be sending out mixed gear again a problem waiting to happen.
Regards
Alan

Must be a big smoking hit to fit beams in

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

Hut* fecking iPhone

Top Bottom