Layher Ally Ladder Beams

T.ANIMAL

Reaction score
Where i work we have 26 foot ally ladder beams that are owned by the station, we have 3 scaffolding firms on site and 1 firm doing a project on there, require 13 foot beams, but the station wont purchase any more gear, so have told them to cut them in half, my question is, do they still retain there strength, or is it not a problem ?

hasent bothered you before you used to liked the olde axe saw!!! good point thou animal!!!

I personally think they would be stronger and look at it this way you now have 6 beams instead of 3 LOL

I would say they would be stronger aswell, like cutting a tube down really.

Bet you'll need the 26ft's soon after you chop em down though...

Got a feeling you need the vertical beside the joint , if you cut them you cant get a vertical on each side and they would probably be fine un-jointed , but i dont think you could join them again and have the same strength

Where i work we have 26 foot ally ladder beams that are owned by the station, we have 3 scaffolding firms on site and 1 firm doing a project on there, require 13 foot beams, but the station wont purchase any more gear, so have told them to cut them in half, my question is, do they still retain there strength, or is it not a problem ?

Id say: in the middle, where the Beam aint been cut/altered, it should be the same and have the same strengths/weaknesses, but on the end, especially where you cut it, it think would be weaker, if you know what i mean? - But you say they are Alloy Ladder Beams???

Never seen those.
But if they are the same as Steel ones, only made from Alloy instead, then they should be exactly the same.

But to be fair, unless your putting a massive load on them, they should be fine. Those f.uckers cant half take some weight... if they can take my combined weight with all the shiite i wear on my belt, they can take anything, lol.

Ofcourse, im no Engineer, just a normal Scaffolder (mentally deranged, nutcase, animal - compared to the average person, lol)... so i think that the ones on site would have to OK it.

But come on Animal mate, i aint gotta tell you this - you KNOW this already, lol. :)

and i thought i was a wind up merchant;)

we all no this cut me and shunt me is fine but when its on paper its not worth a wan! i can remember a few years a go we had the olde cuplock!!! but i needed to take a foot off each standard to make standards fit our mr dave threw safety office said no!!!! so we had a fooked up day!!! i know the cut and shunt looks good but the safety officer ante haveing none of it lol!!!!!!!!!

by rights the document that comes from the manufacturer states its a 6m beam so if you cut it it will not be what it is stated on its original document, i had this argument with a safety officer over cut ladders. yes its obviously stronger in our eyes but legally its been altered, silly but thats the reason not to cut, will not stop me cutting them though.

Firstly, IMO it would be sacrilege to cut Beams of that Length.
Secondly, if you were to cut it in the center of the diagonal you would not have enough tube to apply a fitting for the standard on to the cord.
Thirdly, you would have to cut it equally at both ends to keep the diagonals equal---so as too apply the Standards without hitting the diagonals...

You should consider renting the right beams before destroying the long beam.
The beam strength will not be altered over the span as beam strength is defined by a moment of resistance and an allowable shear these will not alter with the length of beam, however the make up of the beam will alter at the cut, the braces and verticals will not allow the beam to be picked up at the end where the cut is. Provided the beam is picked up at a node inside the cut the beam should remain adequate.

if its only a 13foot span can the job not be done with tube,i am of the opinion that beams are used too much when conventional tubing can do the same with a lot less hassle in my opinion.
I DONT SEE THE POINT IN CUTTING BIG BEAMS THEY CAN BE HANDY

You should consider renting the right beams before destroying the long beam.

Any scaffolding gear coming on site cannot leave, at the very end of the decommissioning of the nuclear power station, all the scaffold gear will be sealed in concrete. to expensive to get it monitored off site, the boards will be burnt, and tubes and fittings sealed up.

if its only a 13foot span can the job not be done with tube,i am of the opinion that beams are used too much when conventional tubing can do the same with a lot less hassle in my opinion.
I DONT SEE THE POINT IN CUTTING BIG BEAMS THEY CAN BE HANDY

Beams were bought in fews years back for a specific job and hardly get used now, but as ive said above they cant go nowhere, your looking at over 500 ton of scaffolding equipment that is going to be encapsulated in concrete or burnt :sad:

I know some scaff's who should be encapsulated in concrete with that 500 ton of tube and fittings. :) Cut away T, as Alan said, when cut "right" it will not add or detract from the beams strength....go you yids.

Cut a beam down.. cut a tube down.. cut a ladder down.... makes fu.ck all difference to the integrity of the beam, tube , ladder.....

Just don't cut fittings down..lol

cala,

Haven't you split a double yet...OMG...you have not lived mate...if you need a hand, please don't hesitate to contact me...I'm an expect at spitting a "double" :-0

Top Bottom