Law or Guidance ?????????????

joebag

Reaction score
just been informed that their is no legal requirement to test ties,just guidance via tg......etc etc,

fuk me can someone who works from the neck up instead of neck down like me explain fully if this is guidance and not law if that is how the regulations bodies get away with not being culpable for training errors

if they were made to legalise their training methods wouldnt that then make them responsible for failures in the training they provide

this has more grey areas than a bourne film!!!!!!!!!!!!

just been informed that their is no legal requirement to test ties,just guidance via tg......etc etc,

fuk me can someone who works from the neck up instead of neck down like me explain fully if this is guidance and not law if that is how the regulations bodies get away with not being culpable for training errors

if they were made to legalise their training methods wouldnt that then make them responsible for failures in the training they provide

Guidance is guidance therefore you are not legally required to do it.

The problem comes when something happens, as they would look for approved codes of practice or guidan ce notes from people in the know. If it went to court they would look at the guidance TG4:11 or TG20:08 more than likely as this would be the closest thing to an acop.

I would guess that the legal requirement would be to prove that you have erected a scaffold that is suitable for its purpose as in can it take the load without falling down which would be covered by the work at height regs, and that is where the testing would come in.

I'm probably wrong and someone will put me straight but if I'm right its a vicious circle,:worried:

I agree Bri and whilst the SG notes are only guidance I always thought it was a legal requirement to prove the suitability of your ties?

Every prosecution of a scaffolding company always refers to best practice somewhere.
So you have to then prove that you worked or erected/dismantled to best practice, how you define that is down to you and your lawyers.

Guidance is guidance. Its a bit like telling people to use the pedestrian crossing to cross the road. In some countries jaywalking is a criminal offence. However if you choose not to cross at a designated place and something happens then you may have to take the consequences. scaffolding is the same.

i think the training should be linked directly to the hse and government training centres,

i can handle being nicked by a copper but them community support officers get told where to fuk off,

to much is going wrong and we are getting all the blame and pressure with these fooked up guidance bollax influenced by big business,

an independent board made up of true representatives across the board in scaffolding advising the hse in regards to safety and new methods of work,is what should be in place,not the cash cow training centres and corrupt rule makers !

thats a card i would be proud of having,and i think the rest of the world would respect it even more !

TG4:11 Use's the term "guide" or "guidance" in excess of 30 times, there is a clue in her if only I could find it?:idea:
regards
Alan
Just had a look 10 times on one page in the Introduction alone LOL

Last edited:
so that IS the holy grail alan,by getting them to say its law in rules and regulations and NOT guidelines we could start a seperate body and overule csrs nasc etc and make them follow us!!!!

takes a bit but i do get there eventually ;)

o and get ready for the thread of all threads lol

Top Bottom