Ladders

tomcat

Reaction score
Just had the HSE inspector visit a new-build housing site we are doing for a local house-builder.. He insists that each plot should have 2 ladder access/egress points in case "there's a fire at or near one of the ladders" (his words)... I've looked in TG-20 and in SG-25, (ladder access points on scaffolds) and cannot find anything that says that 2 points of access are required.... Am i missing something or is he (ie a brain)...

Regards. TC.

Most sites are asking for that now. Not sure where it states it but have also been told on large projects that there should be an access every 12 m!!!

Ragscaff

Me too, was there not a push on fire safety last year. I just give it to them to be honest as how hard is it too fit an extra ladder? Certainly easier than building a stair tower.

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Most sites are asking for that now. Not sure where it states it but have also been told on large projects that there should be an access every 12 m!!!

Ragscaff

As far as I know it is all down to risk assessment, how many men how many trips and duration of job that sort of thing.

we got a job of 39 new builds to do n they asked us for a staircase for each house, fcukin piss take or what they in blocks of 2 n 4 so the 2 blocks gettin 1 stair case and a normal ladder n 4 blocks gettin 2 n a normal ladder, they turned round n said can u block the normal ladder off so they cant use it tho... just have it there for show i think lol

no there brick.. the firm we doin it for meant t be rite ass holes like but work is work at this time of year eh, think they used every firm round this way bar us n another firm, 1 wrong thing n ya off n another firm in..

How do you build your stair's Steve, is it tube or system?

Gents it's down to risk assessment only, nothing written anywhere about how many ladder accesses needed.

Gents it's down to risk assessment only, nothing written anywhere about how many ladder accesses needed.

simian, he says that the HSE inspector has insisted they put two ladder access's in. If he has insisted that would be an improvement notice surely, would you agree

I think we need to find out who the HSE inspector works for here, he may be the clients officer.

Wait till they ask you to make it a fire escape and encapulated with fire retardent mono and fire doors yes true this happened on a 6 story timber frame job last year. left the company so don't no if they were made to do it

i've not come acoss this yet ,but can kinda see the reasoning - although i said that about single to double handrail & we've only just started doing that lololo

Top Bottom