is there any point !

21s

ive been laid off this same month for the past 3 years , hearts broke , i even had a go at the nebosh course but when the exams came up we couldnt afford the 45 pound exam fee , god knows the 40 quid for the course book was hard enough to afford with a family and all the **** u have to shed out for , , but anyway , without the violins breakin into song . We have scraped up enough with the credit union to be able to pay for the off shore survival , please lads tell me if there is any point , i have good experience on powerstations and worked on rigs onshore , but dont want to be lookin at my wee missus after payin for this in a years time , with my finger still up my arse !!! ! Thanks lads !

old saying mate "He who laughs last laughs the longest." keep ya chin up it will come good in the end.

Good luck mate experience & qualifications must be the right direction.

Ragscaff

thanks alot

i dont know a great lot about it only the nearst is aberdeen and the mist course is needed but if u or anybody else can give me a cit of advice on what courses to get i give u my word il buy u a pint , , some day if all goes well !thanks again .

were u from ! fleetwood collage do it u want the 3 day bosiet and the mist course pal the number is 01253779123 the 3 day one only lets u work in british waters but theres one for norwigan waters thats a week the 3 day 1 is 685 and the mist is 400

to be honest pal you would be better off investing any spare money in to doing your nebosh.cape, rbg and salamis have been paying off scaffs since sept time this year.
a few big jobs and shutdowns coming up next year. but it will every man for himself in the north sea...as there wont be enough jobs to go around...and with no offshore experience you will do well to get a start out there....if you still fancy it i got a list of numbers and contacts if you want them ...always happy to help....

keep on going pal, i bet 90% of the scaffs on here have been in your shoes at this time of year, just make sure it doesnt happen a 4th year:)

enjoy [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ]YouTube - Always Look On The Bright Side of Life[/ame]

I too was laid off last year on Dec 3rd, and was out of work for the 1st time in 13 yrs, til march.. In that time off, i did my offshore in the feb . to this day i have never been offshore, not for the want or trying. I've got all the relevant no.s at aberdeen etc. my C.V. was into every possible contractor and still no chance..your best bet, in my opinion, is to already know someone pref. a supervisor of some sort, who can nudge your C.V. infront of the rite people.. in my experience, its the NOT WHAT YOU KNOW, conundrum....
JUST A HEADS UP.. TEESSIDE DO THE RELEVANT COURSES..

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

p.s. all the very best to you mate...

Last edited:
If you read the through the posts on the Offshore ''sticky" in the jobs section you will see there is common theme of lads who have done the survival course finding themselves in a "catch 22" to get offshore you need offshore experience, to get offshore experience you need to get offshore.

I did my survival in the early 90s when it was a 5 day course (2 days firefighting) found my self in the catch 22 and gave up telephoning and posting CVs (no tinternet in them days) after about 18mths .

Any other forum members found themselves in this position ?

Whatever you decide 21s all the best.

Last edited:
seen this perdicament to many times,that catch 22 is a bugger,in my eyes i would try find something to get xmas out the way,then when funds are better,go for it,then the missus will at least see xmas happily.
i thought getting my hgv would open the world up with oppertunatys of work,far from it,need experience for job,cant get job ,no experience.good luck in your world.:D

Top Bottom