internal splay corners

MRscaff

Reaction score
Just scaffolded an akward shaped building in readylok with a few splays. The external splays were easy enough. Erected on corners with singles on legers top and bottom with a Aberdeen transom underneath, boards overlapping.
But the internal corners were a pain with boards clashing with transom, could only cater for inside board one way with transom on inside board end. I have been scaffolding for many years now but never stop learning.
I could of cut the boards so they feathered across but a lot of cutting on every corner every lift.

We have done a few over the years but I think my favourite was in an underground power station and another firm had tried and failed to go round this generator. I just beamed over everything and then slotted in the ledgers well below the lift, fitted a set of standards in the middle of the splay boarded it then pushed up a transom off doubles flush to the underside of the boards. Worked a treat and got us a fair chunk of work.

It was the day's pre tg blah blah blah.

Same as Al. Wait until they ask for a Yorkie corner on a splay, loads of head scratching and people going for dumps.

i find internal splays are easier than external especailly with readylock just need that inside single standard in the correct place. (were your indise ledgers pass easiest wya is build two indapendnt with longer inside ledgers .

Just scaffolded an akward shaped building in readylok with a few splays. The external splays were easy enough. Erected on corners with singles on legers top and bottom with a Aberdeen transom underneath, boards overlapping.
But the internal corners were a pain with boards clashing with transom, could only cater for inside board one way with transom on inside board end. I have been scaffolding for many years now but never stop learning.
I could of cut the boards so they feathered across but a lot of cutting on every corner every lift.

Use ply. Perfectly acceptable under TG20:08.

I have still yet to see a better programme or learning tool than that Ian.

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

We have come along way since the guys in white coats holding models with dowel rod and lolly sticks.

Developed by one of the best instructors in the game. Every morning show your men how your going to build the job in hand , It could revolutionise RA'MS

Last edited:
Developed by one of the best instructors in the game

Excellent stuff.
Was that developed by a guy called Bob? He had a similar programme about 15 years ago although to be fair his wasn't automated and you had to click each time then the standards would appear. Believe he is instructing in Russia these days.

It wasn't Bob, but it's some bit of kit.

It was developed especially for absolute beginners, and belongs in the centres but I could think of a few who could use it daily though.

Although apart from the new scaffold labourers course am I right in saying that no absolute beginner should be attending a training centre?

Your quite correct, but I have seen one or two that falsified 6 months experience to try and better themselves, and to be honest couldn't fault them. I still think it's a great tool for explaining the correct procedure right up to the advanced.

You don't have to go to a centre to get your labourer card.

Same as Al. Wait until they ask for a Yorkie corner on a splay, loads of head scratching and people going for dumps.

Been scratching me head here.Whats a yorkie corner?? off for a dmp:confused:

Thanks for the replys lads, radius scaffolds are easy enough to do but nice way of explaining to trainees on the photobucket vid.
We also seem to be getting a lot of readylok in that raise the board's above the intermediate transoms causing deflection when walking in between bays which is a pain, anybody else come across these?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys lads, radius scaffolds are easy enough to do but nice way of explaining to trainees on the photobucket vid.
We also seem to be getting a lot of readylok in that raise the board's above the intermediate transoms causing deflection when walking in between bays which is a pain, anybody else come across these?

I've never done much in fact nothing with readylocks but Marra tells me they are the danglies. I still prefer the tube as that allows you to slide an Aberdeen directly under the board, especially on the larger jobs. Could you set your individual towers at slightly different heights to compensate for your bones? We sometimes do that with system if we want to fly boards past a single elevation.

Top Bottom