Inspecting a support job

copperknackers

Reaction score
Just a quick one for you chaps.

I have a support job up at the minute and need to carry out the inspections for it. The client wants it inspecting every month, it's going to be up over 12 months and it's got a good chunk of kit in it, including feckin 24 ton of kentaledge so it's going feckin no-where!! it has no boards on it so can't be classed as a working platform and has been designed.

But he wants me to re-assure him that a monthly inspection is ok by providing some literature, but cn't find owt other than the usual that we all know.

Working platform, yeh every 7 days, blah blah blah needs inspecting. But if this is a none working scaffold and has been designed for the purpose of support, do you think it still falls under the working at height regs, and thus the 7 day inspection?

No doubt someone will have definitive answer in this chasm of limitless knowledge!:D

Every 28 days or after adverse weather should be adequate.

It does not require a 7 day inspection as you say it's not a working platform, it obviously needs an initial inspection to ensure it's built to the design.
I would still charge them for a weekly inspection for their piece of mind and a bit of easy dosh for you.

How can you inspect it if it has no boards on it? They do something similar up here using binoculars for inspecting the large pylons, not sure how that goes down in court when they explain how 3 fell down under a bit of snow.

These guys are only looking for a fall guy, get them a 3rd party inspector to carry the can.;)

HERE HERE 3RD Party is the way to go put the derry on someone else ;)

with knowledge like that no wonder maggie never got shot of us even though we are a burdon to LONDONISTAN;)

All kidding aside, we very rarely do it, we built it so obviously we think it's mint and if there is 24 ton of weight on it the old "it's going fecking nowhere pal" should cover it.:cool:

You would have to carry out a risk assessment to determine what frequency it would be acceptable to carry out the inspection.

What sort of kentledge has been installed, is it tube that could be easily moved? is it water which could evaporate or could it be taken out by third parties?

How much weight is it supporting and is there other trades working in or around it that could take some of the tube out or undo a fitting here and there?

i would be tempted to inspect every week if you could say yes to any of the above and like has been said.........

You get the money for it every week!!

I have inspected my cable support scaffolds for the last 4 weeks weekly because they are holding weight that's changeable and there's kentiledge on them too plus they are near a busy lorry set down spot, so you would have to assess all contributing factors such as load, usage, changeable factors such as weather,stick to weekly I would

I have inspected my cable support scaffolds for the last 4 weeks weekly because they are holding weight that's changeable and there's kentiledge on them too plus they are near a busy lorry set down spot, so you would have to assess all contributing factors such as load, usage, changeable factors such as weather,stick to weekly I would

or caravan people nicking the kentiledge:laugh:

Top Bottom