inside handrails

Mr.B

Reaction score
is there a SG on inside handrails?

Have been asked to put an inside handrail up for a 250mm(10inch) gap on a house(new build) to be rendered.
The main contractor states that all scaffolds will be fitted with double handrail, toeboard and brickguards but they only want a single guard rail on the inside for rendering

Is there a SG to clarify this? theres one for everything else

Sg29:08

You can do as he asks just place a non conformance of the work at height regs on the hand over cert and get them to put on a safe system of work or permit

is there a SG on inside handrails?

Have been asked to put an inside handrail up for a 250mm(10inch) gap on a house(new build) to be rendered.
The main contractor states that all scaffolds will be fitted with double handrail, toeboard and brickguards but they only want a single guard rail on the inside for rendering

Is there a SG to clarify this? theres one for everything else

For it to be done 'properly' it's got to be double plus toeboard, a singles only good enough for a scaff. You'd have to agree some way they'd be protected if it was just a single I guess.

As bri said flinty, safe system of work is required if double handrail and toe board are in the way
Google sg29:08 there's a free download a few results down ;)

If you need an inside guardrail to stop a fall from height I would have thought that tg:20 should be applied i.e. double rail and toe boards.Contractors seem to think that a token "single rail" is ok , but i was told by a HSE field opperative that this doesn't apply. The scaffold has to be as close as is practicably possible to the area of intended works.If there is a risk of falling then handrails or adequate measures to stop the fall have to be in place.

Read into that what you will, its all ok until the sh*t hits the fan

If its a working platform that requires handrail then it has to be double with toe board! Would you put a single on the outside if he asked you to???

Yeah dangeruss, the scaffold should be as close as practicably possible, although if the client wants a bigger gap then upto 225mm it's acceptable, as long as he has done his risk assessment to control falling objects. Once the gap is bigger than this you need to install full guard rails and toe board and install signs to tell people not to pass the guard rails. If the client doesn't want the guard rails they have to go back to risk assessment to identify adequate control measures and that's we're the safe system of work comes in.

If you need an inside guardrail to stop a fall from height I would have thought that tg:20 should be applied i.e. double rail and toe boards.Contractors seem to think that a token "single rail" is ok , but i was told by a HSE field opperative that this doesn't apply. The scaffold has to be as close as is practicably possible to the area of intended works.If there is a risk of falling then handrails or adequate measures to stop the fall have to be in place.

Read into that what you will, its all ok until the sh*t hits the fan

Am I correct in saying hse prosecute under wahr 2005 & hsawa 1974 not anything to do with tg20 as its just guidance and industry best practice

Am I correct in saying hse prosecute under wahr 2005 & hsawa 1974 not anything to do with tg20 as its just guidance and industry best practice

Yeah amongst other regs and acts. Tg20 is the closest way to erect to bsen 12811 so I would hazard a guess that if it went to court they would adopt tg20 as a kind of acop. Hopefully somebody will prove me wrong!

The site agent is going to love me tomorrow when I tell him he needs to do separate rams for me to put single handrail on the inside :D

That should be an extra for the single inside guardrail and another when his safety wally turns up next week to make it 'proper' as flinty said
Should make my boss happy

All depends who his safety walls is! Ha ha

Meh it is what it is, seems a common misconception though that a singles good enough for other trades on the inside.

As long as we working to regs as we know thm mr b , let the client come up with provisions , if they can't , don't do it

All depends who his safety walls is! Ha ha

safety wally is hot on RAMS, permits and doesnt like us leaving a single handrail would rather we would leave the double there when we lift the boards
the agent on the other hand is 'get the job done type' and is not fussed on RAMS and probably would say ok i will get the safe system of work sorted and not bother

safety man (nhbc one) dont like him and vice versa
could be fun on monday :bigsmile:

Meh it is what it is, seems a common misconception though that a singles good enough for other trades on the inside.

It's not good enough that's why they have to have the safe system in place.

I think it's to do with if that's what the scaffold is wanted for they can have it but have to control it. Just think of all those renderer a who would have to wear a harness if you weren't allowed a single rail on the inside!

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

safety wally is hot on RAMS, permits and doesnt like us leaving a single handrail would rather we would leave the double there when we lift the boards
the agent on the other hand is 'get the job done type' and is not fussed on RAMS and probably would say ok i will get the safe system of work sorted and not bother

safety man (nhbc one) dont like him and vice versa
could be fun on monday :bigsmile:

Oh the joy!:nuts:

Yeah amongst other regs and acts. Tg20 is the closest way to erect to bsen 12811 so I would hazard a guess that if it went to court they would adopt tg20 as a kind of acop. Hopefully somebody will prove me wrong!
no your about spot on there, the hse use tg20 as "best working pracrice" its not law but it as close as.WAHR is the law you break, tg20 is the guide they use to prove it

flinty I have lost count the amount of 'discussions' I've had with agents foremen about other trades needing 'proper' handrails on the inside.
we're trained to do a job properly and it will always piss people off when you say i cant do that because H&S, duty of care, etc

bri

so if iput on the handover 'not complying to WAHR as requested, needs safe system of work' will that cover me and the firm I work for?

As I understand it mate, that's what we do. Just make sure you explain why it does not fully comply I.e. single internal guard rail. Hopefully someone more clued up than me can explain fully !!!!!

Last edited:
Put inside handrails on a render job for leadbitter once befor. saftey guy insisted, so we did. renderers turn up moan like ****. 'no good mate, jus gets in our way, cant reach'.
saftey guys solution - 'put the guardrail on inside of standards'. thats what were up against.

Top Bottom