I'm green...Need any advice you can give.

Scaffold_Rookie

Reaction score
Hello Forum,

Very happy to have found this resource. I recently started a new job as a Sales Rep. with a scaffold company. I have about 12 years of solid sales experience, but absolutely none of it is in the construction industry or with scaffolding.

Needless to say, I have a lot of learning curves to overcome, both learning the nuances of construction (lingo, hierarchies, PROCESSES, etc.) as well as understanding all the internal workings of a new company as well as the different scaffold systems, pricing, bidding, etc.

Most people at the company are industry veterans of 10+ years that don't have the patience or interest in really helping me get up to speed, and I really don't have anyone who is in a similar role that I can shadow and really mentor me on how to be successful without spending 1-2 years fumbling through trial and error on my own.

I understand that being so green means that regardless, it will take time. If anyone can contribute any tips, tricks, etc. to helping me make the best use of my time while I'm not really under the gun to be driving heavy business, I would definitely appreciate it.

Anything related to sales side of the business is also greatly appreciated, and if I can in turn help anyone else out in any way, I will do what I can.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing your feedback!!

Hi and welcome to the forum. You are in the right place and have the right attitude to get help, you will be fine. Is it really windy over in Chicago?:noworry:

get out with a squad youll pick things up if not the lingo..... the fittings lol with in no time youll know wt eveyr thing is so get ya sell out with a gang and graft

Welcome to the forum scaffold rookie,Hope you have a good sense of humor,some replies might confuse you. Good luck:laugh:
I know nothing about sales,scaffold systems different in the states.

Thanks for the responses so far. It looks there there are some good resources in the stickies and such.

I have thick skin, so anyone can give me as much grief as they like! Seems to be the norm in construction from what I'm gathering.

I'm a born smart-*ss myself so that's why I think I'll probably fit in good with this business.

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

Hi and welcome to the forum. You are in the right place and have the right attitude to get help, you will be fine. Is it really windy over in Chicago?:noworry:

Thanks, and yes it is windy in Chicago, but that is not where the name "The Windy City" comes from. In the 20/30's politicians were called blowhards, because they were all a bunch of windbags that just gave lip service, which is why they started calling it the Windy City. Because of all the bigmouth politicians back in the day.

I suppose if your selling something,youde need to know the product inside out. Different systems,different applications,Uses ie Brickies or painters.Height of job , Design jobs,whether design is required. Understanding manufacturers instructions,current regulations.
Might be talking bollix,:smile1:but might also start someone else off.:D Enjoy.
Are you busy? All buildings in a sorry state over here at the mo.

I suppose if your selling something,youde need to know the product inside out. Different systems,different applications,Uses ie Brickies or painters.Height of job , Design jobs,whether design is required. Understanding manufacturers instructions,current regulations.
Might be talking bollix,:smile1:but might also start someone else off.:D Enjoy.
Are you busy? All buildings in a sorry state over here at the mo.

:eek: In all my rush to learn, I didn't even notice this was a UK forum...No problem, glad to be here anyway.

No we aren't busy. Things are slow, and SLIGHTLY picking up, but not much. Usually there are about 15-20 cranes on our skyline during a decent year...Only about 5 up right now. Those in the industry here think it will be a slow recovery and next year will see more work.

won't be long before youve got scaffs asking you about work in the windy city

blowhard politicians/windy city , classic

Welcome to the Forum Scaffold - Rookie.
What do you want to know? What type of scaffolding are you using in Chicago? Do they still use Frames?

Hello Forum,

Very happy to have found this resource. I recently started a new job as a Sales Rep. with a scaffold company. I have about 12 years of solid sales experience, but absolutely none of it is in the construction industry or with scaffolding.

Needless to say, I have a lot of learning curves to overcome, both learning the nuances of construction (lingo, hierarchies, PROCESSES, etc.) as well as understanding all the internal workings of a new company as well as the different scaffold systems, pricing, bidding, etc.

Most people at the company are industry veterans of 10+ years that don't have the patience or interest in really helping me get up to speed, and I really don't have anyone who is in a similar role that I can shadow and really mentor me on how to be successful without spending 1-2 years fumbling through trial and error on my own.

I understand that being so green means that regardless, it will take time. If anyone can contribute any tips, tricks, etc. to helping me make the best use of my time while I'm not really under the gun to be driving heavy business, I would definitely appreciate it.

Anything related to sales side of the business is also greatly appreciated, and if I can in turn help anyone else out in any way, I will do what I can.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing your feedback!!

Morning Fella
selling is selling wherever you go.
1) Know your market
2) Know your Client
3) Above all in this game, Know your product.

The product range is wide and varied and Product knowledge and terminology will however only come with time invested.
best of luck and welcome to the game
regards
Alan

Top Bottom