how to stair towers (tube and fitting)

grafter

Reaction score
just wandering how to build stair towers out of tube + fitting never done one before have a rough idea but would like to know for sure so if one comes up wouldnt look like a numpty trying to base one out all wrong
some pictures would be nice or a diagram. cheers

Build a tower upto the desired lift height (2 towers if going up more than one level) put 2 tubes down to the ground (or other tower if going up more than one level) on a diagonal angle. Use a stair tread on the diagonal tubes, one at the top and one at the bottom for your measurement, then put the rest of the steps on. People usualy do a spanners length apart and the level them in but I just eye them in keeping the back of the first step flush with the front of the next step. If the angle of the step feels right under your foot then wrap it off. Handrail all off.

If your going up more than one level then make the tower wide enough to have another set of steps going the oppersite way to the first set from the first level.

Hope that makes some kind of understandable sense.

The last one we did was done using the adjustable stair treads although exactly how much adjustment in them is debatable. If you are using them it was just a straight 13ft by 10ft tower. I have never used the single treads you fit on a tube but back in the day I built a few running tube every 9 inch the full length of the job. Measure what ever height you have to achieve and transfer same out giving you the 45 angle then run tube every 9 inch up or down from there. It was a while ago mind.

Erecting staircases from tube and fitting can be a nightmare these days as there is so many different things to get right , the rise and the going have to be spot on , we have had a Hse measure this and measure that , best way is to hire a "Haki" as everything is pre set for you and you cant go wrong

Yea thats right, depending what site your on, you might have to get the angles and measurements bang on. If your on a pretty "relaxed" site just go with what feels right. Its not really rocket science, you have been using stairs all your life. So you should have a rough estimate on the angles and stuff. aom has it right though "Measure what ever height you have to achieve and transfer same out giving you the 45 angle"

If the treads need adjusting then you should beable to feel it when you put a foot on them.

Drop a standard in the middle of the diagonal tubes to take some of the bounce out.

1.2mx1.8mx1.2m then 2m lift heights then attach tube ledger to ledger then get the stair tread on doubles and level spacing usually does it for me buddy

Asi universal stair system fits to tube without it having to be spot on with the measurements generation do them saves a lot of hassle

It is worth pointing out that all Stair must now be designed as they do not fall under any of the four load classes covered under TG20. And they could be subject to excesive loading if used in an emergency such as an evacuation. So it really it makes it easy to erect tube & fitting stairs these days as all you need do is build them to the drawing.
If you knock em up having never built them and there is no design then all I can say is bigger fool you.
Dont do it...youll be in a court trying to explaine how you have done everything deemed reasonable and practical to the judge...If your asked to erect them have the balls to say that you have never built them and its outside your ability at this time unless you have a design...that will most likely be generic but it will show you what you need to achieve,,,,as stated most peps are going for a system as it is designed already and its relativly simple to through together

The old wooden Stair-treads can be a nightmare, but hopefully you'll have those new metal ones that have little tube bits on the ends to make fixing the Staircase easier.

Like this:

stairtread.jpg

If your using these types (the new ones) then its a damn lot easier then those old shiity wooden things, lol.

You didnt state what kind of Staircase - whether it be a small one for Portacabins on site or a Staircase with landings and run offs (you said "Stair Tower", which they show you on your Advanced course.)

This is what i would consider a Stair-Tower:

Bilt+Rite+Scaffold+-+System+Stair+Tower+Roof+Top+Access+05.jpg

I know its out of System, but its the best i could find, lol.

Now - assuming you have room on site for something this big... i would start it off as a 13ft Birdcage and get your 4 outside Standards set out so a 13ft Boards will fit.
I would also put 16 Standards in it, so you have 4 Standards to each corner - Making care that the 'outside' Standards are set out for 5 or 6 13ft Boards, so 5ft Trannys can fit. ;) and your 'inside' Standards are set out for the Stair-treads.

A Kicker Lift would be next followed by a 2m Lift and then your Stringers for your Stair-treads and you can start building your Stair Tower up.

So on and so on...

If i was on site with you i couyld explain it better, then trying to explain it in words, lol.
Im full of shiit anyway - listen to the other blokes, they have explained it better! :D

I hope this helps mate.
Jay.

even a generic may not surfice due to the possibility of changes in lift height etc,and so the angle of the dangle will be differnt
i could be wrong but as its on the advanced course& part of the nvq3 - think you now need a willywonker tckt to legally erect it as well, unless its system & then you'd need the 2day add on qualification,

True,design is needed,but be careful,had a firm give a drawing for a stair tower to be done in T&F,but the drawing was for a system,yellow jelly if l remember,coz it looked like 1 lifted from the net. Needless to say,when l told the ''supervisor'' that the drawing was the wrong 1,he tried calling me a useless tosser,but as l said to him,if he knew what he was doing,he would & should have seen that.

Last edited:
I agree with philliosmaximus. The Haki stair tower is the was to go, Fast, strong and easy to erect.

If its tube & fitting then its a design !!!!!!

Top Bottom