How much did this cost?

SWIFTY

Reaction score
From Find a Tradesman | Recommended Local Tradesmen by ServiceMagic UK

Scaffolding is an essential part of any renovation or building project – find out more about scaffolding safety and regulations here.

Make sure your scaffolding is safe and legal

You might need to use scaffolding for a range of projects; building a new property, refurbishing an old one, putting up an extension or carrying out a conversion. You may even need scaffolding for simpler tasks such as roofing or window work, or changes to external walls. Work out with your contractor how long you will need to hire scaffolding for; it is always cheaper and safer to hire scaffolding rather than buy your own second hand.
Falls from height are the biggest cause of death on construction sites, reports the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). Many of these accidents occur from faulty or poorly erected scaffolding and can cause devastating consequences, as HSE Inspector Geoff Clark points out: “Too many lives are shattered as a result of falls from height at work.”
To avoid any accidents and to make sure the scaffolding for your project meets legal standards, the HSE recommends hiring a scaffolding company who are registered with the National Access and Scaffolding Federation (NASC). Their 2010 scaffolding safety report shows a 30% reduction in falls from height in the last year, which represents a 19% drop when hiring an NASC registered company.
“We want to be able to objectively show people that what the NASC is doing does make a difference,” says NASC President Bob Whincap. “Our safety report is testament to the fact that NASC companies perform safer.”
An NASC registered scaffolding company will:
Adhere to the NASC code of conduct and follow the latest scaffolding guidelines.
Be independently audited by the NASC to ensure they are financially solvent; trading accounts for the last two years are inspected.
Be VAT registered.
Have at least 75% of its employees registered with CISRS – the Construction Industry Scaffolders Record.
Have a minimum of £5 million public liability insurance and £10 million employee’s liability cover.
Provide a Method Statement and a Risk Assessment before the start of the project.
Check that scaffolding is secure every week, after severe weather and whenever it is altered.
Will put up scaffolding on firm, level ground, placed not too close to power cables and they will use protective barriers to prevent falls. They will use hoists for heavy items and securely attach ladders to the scaffolding.
There are a few other things you need to bear in mind when hiring scaffolding:
Check with your Local Authority to see whether you need planning permission to put up scaffolding, although a contractor should be able to tell you this.
It’s the scaffolding company (or builders) responsibility to get a licence for scaffolding when it will be placed on a highway or pavement – but you must also check that this has been done.
Always get at least three quotes for the work before you hire. Even if you are hiring an accredited professional check references and insurance credentials independently.
AB
Need scaffolding for your project? Get free quotes here

It didn't cost me that much.:laugh:

Who is Geoff Clark and who gave him the authority to recommend where to spend your money?

Not sure about doing the checks though, ooooooooooooooooo, that is gonna cost you.:cool:

From Find a Tradesman | Recommended Local Tradesmen by ServiceMagic UK
...Their 2010 scaffolding safety report shows a 30% reduction in falls from height in the last year, which represents a 19% drop when hiring an NASC registered company.

And their latest safety report shows an increase in accidents despite a 7% drop in the number of workers :smile1:

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

And an increase of falls from height by 68% from 2010...... God bless SG4:10!

68%, FFS Flinty, where did you get that from?

Thanks Flinty, I have read the report and was a bit disappointed to learn that the smaller companies seemed to have a higher incident rate but as the old saying goes, damn lies and statistics. It seems falls from a scaffold amongst those who took part have actually reduced.

Falls from height have shown
an increase this year from 2010.
Falls from scaffolds have reduced by
30% in 2011, but falls from ladders
and vehicles have shown an increase
of 3 and 5 respectively.

funny that. Only last week I saw one of the local nasc firms lads bombing 5s from 5th lift of a new build.

Thanks Flinty, I have read the report and was a bit disappointed to learn that the smaller companies seemed to have a higher incident rate but as the old saying goes, damn lies and statistics. It seems falls from a scaffold amongst those who took part have actually reduced.

Falls from height have shown
an increase this year from 2010.
Falls from scaffolds have reduced by
30% in 2011, but falls from ladders
and vehicles have shown an increase
of 3 and 5 respectively.

Aye glad you had a good read, still seems to be we are being over targeted? Slips trips and falls are still the most common injury to a scaffolder!

Controlled vertical descent.

GAMT..... :toung:

No the biggest is in the wallet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aye glad you had a good read, still seems to be we are being over targeted? Slips trips and falls are still the most common injury to a scaffolder!

GAMT..... :toung:

gravity assisted material transfer is it flinty ahahah used this a few weeks ago said gampt even other scaff looked at me what don you tel me youve never used gampt, gravity assisted material transfer you never used it av i fek he said as he proseeses to threw the doubble ender off lol

gravity assisted material transfer is it flinty ahahah used this a few weeks ago said gampt even other scaff looked at me what don you tel me youve never used gampt, gravity assisted material transfer you never used it av i fek he said as he proseeses to threw the doubble ender off lol

:laugh::laugh: He's obviously never read the method statement for the GAMT method :cheesy:

i like the bit "nasc will use hoists" is that what we call in Glasgow hand balling.
ive worked for plenty of NASC companies including the big ones and never used a hoist unless there was already on site.
a load of flannel if you ask me,and also a wee bit desperate that they advertise on a ****** site like that ;)

Top Bottom