Hourly Rates

Dass

Reaction score
Over the last few days there have been 5 or 6 jobs advertised for scaffolders in Newcastle (or North East area).

Most of them have been offering around £11.00/hour.

I've read the comments about the company's involved being p*ss takers, and robbing b@stards. While I agree the rates aren't that great, they are the going rates for this area.

Even larger local companies like Pyeroy are paying (so I'm told) £10.46/hour.

All I can say is that no-one is making fortunes by paying these sort of rates. There are lot of factors why the rates are so low.
1.Number of scaffolding companies in the North East
2.number of lads looking for work
3.companies being screwed by main contractors
4.rates being lower in general for the last 20 years.

As for price work, I've heard one local company has put their lads on price.
Apparently for a 6m long front of a house x 3lifts with double handrails on to the roof on either side with a frame for a hoist they are getting £55.00 between a squad of 3 lads to erect and £27.00 to dismantle. The rates include loading and unloading.

As for the scaffold companies themselves, here are a few examples of the sort of prices they are going in at.

95m of double edge protection on a warehouse. 21's for standards rakered back.
£780.00

2.5m tower x 3 lifts with ladder access
£160.00

Without being accused of stating the blleedin obvious, wages can't improve till the price of the jobs improve. Sad thing is I can't see that being anytime soon. We've been saying the same thing for years.

when the rates do go up then we can all bail out the fooking mess that englands in dont it make you proud to be british lmfao!!!!

Over the last few days there have been 5 or 6 jobs advertised for scaffolders in Newcastle (or North East area).

Most of them have been offering around £11.00/hour.

I've read the comments about the company's involved being p*ss takers, and robbing b@stards. While I agree the rates aren't that great, they are the going rates for this area.

Even larger local companies like Pyeroy are paying (so I'm told) £10.46/hour.

All I can say is that no-one is making fortunes by paying these sort of rates. There are lot of factors why the rates are so low.
1.Number of scaffolding companies in the North East
2.number of lads looking for work
3.companies being screwed by main contractors
4.rates being lower in general for the last 20 years.

As for price work, I've heard one local company has put their lads on price.
Apparently for a 6m long front of a house x 3lifts with double handrails on to the roof on either side with a frame for a hoist they are getting £55.00 between a squad of 3 lads to erect and £27.00 to dismantle. The rates include loading and unloading.

As for the scaffold companies themselves, here are a few examples of the sort of prices they are going in at.

95m of double edge protection on a warehouse. 21's for standards rakered back.
£780.00

2.5m tower x 3 lifts with ladder access
£160.00

Without being accused of stating the blleedin obvious, wages can't improve till the price of the jobs improve. Sad thing is I can't see that being anytime soon. We've been saying the same thing for years.

Why can't the firms agree to using the same rates instead of undercutting each other, the work still has to be done by whoever, someone will still get the work, we get a proper days pay for putting the work up, hope this makes sence

Right Angle, that sounds like a sensible idea but there's a few problems in doing that.
1. It could be looked upon as price fixing (which is illegal)
2. If you got 10 scaffold companies together they might agree to it. But do you think for one minute they wouldn't undercut each other if it meant them getting a bigger share of the work?

Right Angle, that sounds like a sensible idea but there's a few problems in doing that.
1. It could be looked upon as price fixing (which is illegal)
2. If you got 10 scaffold companies together they might agree to it. But do you think for one minute they wouldn't undercut each other if it meant them getting a bigger share of the work?

right ime going to put my neck on the line, we are a fair company and not one of the multi nationals, or the so called smaller companys, some of my lads earn up to 1800 per week for 5 days on price. we try to give our lads the best prices that we can , when we price for a job lets say against interswerve we dont stand a chance, when they are putting in prices of £7.65 per metre, we pay almost that out to our lads,then there is other companys who think that they can undercut us at all costs, and put stupid rates in, not thinking of the labour rates to your lads, just win at all costs, we have a different ethos at interlink, and as we have heard that two of the companys in our area have stated," at all costs win all the work, and we will eventuallly put ISL, Project, Spectrum and Access 55 out of buisness then we will have the monopoly, then we can charge what we want". Well think again! you may have put two of them companys out of buisness, and they were two decent companys who knew their game, but because of these companys pricing policy had to cut the cloth to suit, and paid the ultimate price. Unfortunatly for the lads in the north east until these companys stop playing there silly games, we can only pay the lads whats in the price of the job. These two are not the only ones as there is quite a few who think that getting lads on the fiddle is ok or paying them monthly is ok. My point is lads, that my lads are looked after to the best of what is avalible to us and 90 lads in this present climate, we must be doing something right. DREAM ON INTERSWERVE AND CO, WE ARE HERE FOR THE LONG HAUL AND OUR LADS ARE AND WILL BE THE BEST PAID IN THE NORTH EAST, BECAUSE OF THAT REASON WE WILL CARRY ON WINNING WORK AND NOT TRYING TO RIP OUR CLIENTS OF TO MAKE UP FOR YOUR PRICING POICIES. RANT OVER

the rates your quoting for the elevation doesnt sound much but its about right, you would expect to do triple that amount in a day.
as regards going in cheap to win work- there is economic sense to leave that to others, and only take on good paying jobs

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

good rant

right ime going to put my neck on the line, we are a fair company and not one of the multi nationals, or the so called smaller companys, some of my lads earn up to 1800 per week for 5 days on price. We try to give our lads the best prices that we can , when we price for a job lets say against interswerve we dont stand a chance, when they are putting in prices of £7.65 per metre, we pay almost that out to our lads,then there is other companys who think that they can undercut us at all costs, and put stupid rates in, not thinking of the labour rates to your lads, just win at all costs, we have a different ethos at interlink, and as we have heard that two of the companys in our area have stated," at all costs win all the work, and we will eventuallly put isl, project, spectrum and access 55 out of buisness then we will have the monopoly, then we can charge what we want". Well think again! You may have put two of them companys out of buisness, and they were two decent companys who knew their game, but because of these companys pricing policy had to cut the cloth to suit, and paid the ultimate price. Unfortunatly for the lads in the north east until these companys stop playing there silly games, we can only pay the lads whats in the price of the job. These two are not the only ones as there is quite a few who think that getting lads on the fiddle is ok or paying them monthly is ok. My point is lads, that my lads are looked after to the best of what is avalible to us and 90 lads in this present climate, we must be doing something right. Dream on interswerve and co, we are here for the long haul and our lads are and will be the best paid in the north east, because of that reason we will carry on winning work and not trying to rip our clients of to make up for your pricing poicies. Rant over

giz a job i can do that!

the rates your quoting for the elevation doesnt sound much but its about right, you would expect to do triple that amount in a day.
as regards going in cheap to win work- there is economic sense to leave that to others, and only take on good paying jobs

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

good rant

If I understand you right Graeme doing triple that amount on those prices would only get a 3 man squad £55 each. For that squad to earn the equivalent of £11/hour each they would have to erect 5 fronts a day.

when with sgb , a days work was erect 50sq/m scaffold, like 3 bays long by three lift boarded, that was per man, and for that you would get fifty quid,
I am with you on the wages.
Good luck,

theres nothing funny about being a busy fool,maybe the penny will drop with these clowns one day.
maybe a strike like what happened in ireland in the late 90s would put the big construction companys in their place and realise just how much they need scaffolders,and to start paying a deceant price to the firms who should then pass this on to the troops

right ime going to put my neck on the line, we are a fair company and not one of the multi nationals, or the so called smaller companys, some of my lads earn up to 1800 per week for 5 days on price. we try to give our lads the best prices that we can , when we price for a job lets say against interswerve we dont stand a chance, when they are putting in prices of £7.65 per metre, we pay almost that out to our lads,then there is other companys who think that they can undercut us at all costs, and put stupid rates in, not thinking of the labour rates to your lads, just win at all costs, we have a different ethos at interlink, and as we have heard that two of the companys in our area have stated," at all costs win all the work, and we will eventuallly put ISL, Project, Spectrum and Access 55 out of buisness then we will have the monopoly, then we can charge what we want". Well think again! you may have put two of them companys out of buisness, and they were two decent companys who knew their game, but because of these companys pricing policy had to cut the cloth to suit, and paid the ultimate price. Unfortunatly for the lads in the north east until these companys stop playing there silly games, we can only pay the lads whats in the price of the job. These two are not the only ones as there is quite a few who think that getting lads on the fiddle is ok or paying them monthly is ok. My point is lads, that my lads are looked after to the best of what is avalible to us and 90 lads in this present climate, we must be doing something right. DREAM ON INTERSWERVE AND CO, WE ARE HERE FOR THE LONG HAUL AND OUR LADS ARE AND WILL BE THE BEST PAID IN THE NORTH EAST, BECAUSE OF THAT REASON WE WILL CARRY ON WINNING WORK AND NOT TRYING TO RIP OUR CLIENTS OF TO MAKE UP FOR YOUR PRICING POICIES. RANT OVER
good rant that like , must be pyerob your on about undercutting everyone .

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

the 1800 must be friends and family though

which companies apart from interserve are taking all the work then in your area?

good rant that like , must be pyerob your on about undercutting everyone .

---------- post added at 04:44 pm ---------- previous post was at 04:43 pm ----------

the 1800 must be friends and family though

yes your right about pyeroy, and no your wrong about friends and family some good lads working for us and earning good money, small percent friends and family but they are not top earners

£1800 a week aint much.

Ben 'Beam-Machine' Flynn earns £2500 a day, on price, before 9am...
Thats after hes pumped up 100 21ft ladder beams just for the fun of it also.

Top Bottom