Horizontal line system (span sets)

simsafe

Reaction score
Just reading up on the use of horizontal line systems and the book says that scaffolders must be trained in the installation and use of these systems as with all equipment these days my question is by who and once trained can the trained become the trainer with such a simple piece of kit.

If its by SpanSet, then they usually do all their own training, for a fee ofcourse.
I very much doubt that once trained, you can then become a trainer, as it would mean that SpanSet earn less money... they aint gonna have that now are they? lol.

If training went like that it would be like chinese whispers and the Urban Myth thread would be massive. Most suppliers of this type of kit will train you for a few bob or if you have negotiating skills like scaffy it will be free.

its all about insurance,if someone has a fall (heaven forbid) then spanset would have a law suit,if they can prove that there was no training then they are not liable.
the were theres blame theres a claim culture is the reason that an advanced scaffolder with tube and fitting on his gold card cant get a job throwing up yellow jelly SAD BUT TRUE :nuts:

Just reading up on the use of horizontal line systems and the book says that scaffolders must be trained in the installation and use of these systems as with all equipment these days my question is by who and once trained can the trained become the trainer with such a simple piece of kit.

hello im new on here but thought i might help to answer your question.
there are several companies out there who manufacture safety lines,
keyline, latchways, uniline to name a few. all of these people will want you to sell their lines and their lines only and so are very reluctant to take on new installers, unless you are prepared to sign up to them and commit to spending a certain amount of money with them.
to install a system you will need to be certified by the manufacturer to install their system, one manufacturers certificate does not necessarily certify you to install other systems.
when a system is installed you will need to provide certification for the line system therefore making you responsible for that system and all the numpties that use it!

Top Bottom