Hook loader or multi lift

scaffman1

Reaction score
Thinking of getting a drop body lorry

I've only ever seen a multi lift (wire rope) lorry used for scaffolding. Does anyone use a hook loader and if so what are the pros and cons of both...

Hook gear is heavy and youl lose 2 ton of payload on a 6 wheeler
Angle of descent is quiet scary too !!!

Had both , hook easier than cable lift , but cable cheaper to repair

If you go down either route make sure put all tibe on bites or get 21.5 ft bodys with reat tailgates

MHF in inkberrow usually has a choice of trucks and bodys

Don't rate the hook jobs, as allscaff said they've got some tilt on them. Queue tubes flying out like spears all over the gaff. Hiab all day long for me.

Don't rate the hook jobs, as allscaff said they've got some tilt on them. Queue tubes flying out like spears all over the gaff. Hiab all day long for me.

Multi lifts are awesome if there's tubes flying off the bed I'd recommend a change of driver.

If you use a hook make sure there's a strong tailboard or you'll be reversing into walls.

The cablelift version is the popular choice due to the lower lifting angle, but a bit more chew for the driver having to get out of the cab to attach the cables - great fun if the body is in a muddy puddle :laugh:

It is possible that Multilift will stop production of the cablelift versions shortly due to a lack of demand - only scaffold companies use them these days. The last 4 bodies we bought had hook and cable attachments for this eventuality. There is a tilting and sliding hooklift which has a similar low lifting angle to the cablelift and is a similar price, but weighs about a tonne more.

If looking for new then speak to Mark Taylor at Londonderry Garage, whilst MHF usually have used stock.

Good post mark
U are reffering to the multilift with the swan neck rether than big hooks

Theres a rather over priced 6x4 daf on ebay at min cable lift ex palmers 25 grand !!!!!!!

Think cayvol still make cablelift as well and in my opinion cayvol better than multilift

Used to be popular with paper firms too

Hiab all day every day. We got a 40ft hiab, wicked for dropping kit in gardens and on to porpose built l'bays.

Used cablelifts still command a high price due to the scarecity of them - last one we bought was about £18k for an 06 plate 18 tonner. Quite expensive considering our 06 plate 26 tonner 'only' cost £65k brand new at the time.

Multilift's hooklifts have up until now only been available in the UK in either tilt (swan neck) or slide (big hook) versions. It's only recently that the Z tilt and slide version can be ordered - was originally designed for limited headroom operations on the continent I believe.

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

Hiab all day every day. We got a 40ft hiab, wicked for dropping kit in gardens and on to porpose built l'bays.

Hiab's are handy at times to get material directly to awkward places, but they're too slow. Our Multi's will get twice as many deliveries / collections done in a day, and no climbing about at height slinging loads.

Top Bottom