Honest advice

Cambridge

Reaction score
Thought this would be the best place for advice directly from the experts:

We're having our chimney re-done, after some repointing work to an old Victorian house, etc...

The chimney scaff has been erected in a way that, to me, puts too much load on the roof ridge. This has led to a cracked ridge tile or two.

See the pictures attached.

Question: has this scaff been well erected? Would you have done it differently?

Admittedly, some bricks came out of the chimney onto the scaff, as that's the nature of the work.

Thanks for your opinions

Attachments

• IMG_9689.jpg
    IMG_9689.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_9685.jpg
    IMG_9685.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_9683.jpg
    IMG_9683.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 141
These things happen on old roofs

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Perhaps you'd prefer the contractors to wear slippers when working on your roof?

The only way would be a tower on the other side and the beams lifted above the ridge tiles, but that would have cost more in the price and would be defeating the object if you were to have a comfortable access height to the chimney.
It looks a well erected job from here.

I appoligse for my fellow scaffs teply that might come accross to a non scaffolding client & it may come accross as curt or rude but to be honest this is a standard practice way to erect a stack access & your builder or scaffolder shoild teally have told you that there was a good possibility that tile damage would occur - which would normally be repaired by the builder once the scaffold has been dismantled....dont alow this worry to stop you making them a cup of tea when they come back to dismantle lol

They have done a tidy job for you fella ,
Going over all them solar panels is a worry.

Anytime we do work on roofs it's in our quote that ties may get broke and it's beyond our control if this happens so they should allow for it in their own tender.

Didn't have much choice to be fair putting the load all onto the ridge as they could not get any standards onto the roof due to the solar panels.

They did use beams as well as so fair play to the scaffolders, I'd pull them on the ladder being a bit short and a missing toeboard though :p

Didn't have much choice to be fair putting the load all onto the ridge as they could not get any standards onto the roof due to the solar panels.

They did use beams as well as so fair play to the scaffolders, I'd pull them on the ladder being a bit short and a missing toeboard though :p

Really Stone ,
We can all pull others jobs apart ,
if my lads done that job I would be more then happy ;)

Not exactly standard practice boarding out the bottom chord of a beam though.

The job could obviously be better, as already noted, those solar panels added to the degree of difficulty. That been said, it's the clients responsibility that the roof is able to withstand the self weight of the structure and any load placed upon it. If the scaffolder has anything about him, he will be covered in his Rams and the builder will be charged to replace any broken tiles or slates.

Did you pay the invoice?

"Admittedly, some bricks came out of the chimney onto the scaff, as that's the nature of the work. "

Builder overloaded it whilst dropping it maybe?

Not the best jo in the world but far from the worst.
Would normally have placed a couple of sand bags on the ridge tiles and created a small saddle spreading the load a little.
That said there's more chances of breaking the tiles on roof jobs than not.

Top Bottom