High Yield - What's The Deal?

RSSL

Reaction score
What's the latest thinking on the 3.2mm high yield tube?

Anyone using it regularly at the moment or bought a load?

I've seen some comments on here but has anyone changed their opinion of it or started using it for the first time lately?

I've only read good things about it. I've been thinking of selling all my gear and replacing with the high yield. As far as I can gather the hi yield is about 80 - 85p a ft and and I would want 70-75p for mine. The advantages of getting more on the lorry with no extra fuel cost plus jobs going up quicker cos of the lighter gear with the lower impact of strain on the body. The only downside to it is if they banned it or you wanted to sell up. I would of done it last month if my local supplier sold it. I would like to know if there were any negatives to it apart from the bending.

Used it on Lyndons.. it is amazingly lighter and it is rated stronger than the traditional lump.
It does cost more and has been in the game for a while now, so can not see it being banned.... the 200 ft lump up the side of battesea powerstation is all high yield.

Not sure how it can be stronger Longun ?

i bought a couple of loads this year and find it great for high jobs where the rope and wheel comes into play or temporary roofs it is a hell of a lot less stressful maybe Alan Reade could comment on it

How much is it to buy per foot? And who sells
I have been offered new tube 4mm today from a major company for 82p per foot minimum order 1000 x 21s..any body know where can buy cheaper?
Thanks lads

Getting new 4 mm at min 0.73

High yoeld 3.2 is ok but ends damage if dropped and bends to easily

A yield strength of 355N/mm2 as opposed to traditional 4mm tube which has 235N/mm2;
25% lighter tube – the traditional 21’ scaffold tube weighs 28kg where as a high yield tube is 21kg

Hence the word.. high

Ive found the standards tend to 'float' more. Also as already stated it bends alot easier. Prefer the traditional tube myself.

sorry been traveling.
High yield steel good product and has it's plusses and minuses.
Lyndons ben using it for as long as I can remember.

Most systems are 3.2 high yield steel.

We use plenty of it and cant say any is coming back bent - or the boys are just using it

3.2 high yield is stronger in bending but not quite as good in compression (cold formed)

Cold formed is weaker than hot formed but in a mixed load you would not be able to, or expected to spot the difference.

Whilst stronger in bending may allow you to open the centers of you uprights the reduction in compression may well remove the advantage by forcing you to close the centers.

The main advantage to 3.2 is in the weight
less WAT on men and transport plus reduced fuel cost for deliveries etc.

Top Bottom