Hi vis Orange overalls .....

Fraggle1

Reaction score
Just need something clearing up regarding hi-vis orange overalls ,was told today by a woman site agent that the above are no longer considered hi-vis on construction sites now and are for railways only and that we had to put on a yellow hi-vis vest over the overalls ?????

A slight disagreement took place as the site was getting assessed by Considerate Construction .We left site and received a phone call later from our client to say ....well they are the client !!!!
Have searched everywhere today and cannot find one shred of information that backs up her statement.
Reason for the overalls is that it cuts down on the vest and it snagging all the time on harness etc...

Would appreciate any information regarding this subject .

Unfortunately it does not really matter if she is right or wrong although I suspect she has a point but it's her site and she can set any criteria she likes.

I was always told that orange was railtrack work and couldnt wear the yellow on railtrack work , when we done or track aware course we had to buy orange jackets so there may be something in it

I was always told that orange was railtrack work and couldnt wear the yellow on railtrack work , when we done or track aware course we had to buy orange jackets so there may be something in it
Thats right mate, green hi viz can be mistaken for a green go signal (load of rubbish) but true.

We wear a mixture - yellow boilers but when it rains some of us have got orange wet jackets-all our clients are in the considerate scheme...& we have neverbeen pulled up on orange-i think shes just trying to make the point that if a clitoris is bigger than 6in it counts as a penis so u gotta take notice of her

Last edited:
The railways must have orange hi-viz but on normal sites there isn't any stipulation other than the main contractors preference

I think any debris netting used on railway scaffolds has to be blue (but I could be talking sh1te)

Cheers fellas ,I have done rail track work in the past and orange was always the standard ,yellow/green was a no no because of the lighting issue with the signals .
I can only assume she got out of the wrong side of bed this morning ����������

One last thing it wasn't even down on the induction as to what colour to wear !!!!!!!

hi vis

worked on one site and a pipefitter had a black hi vis on when he got pulled it turned out it could be any colour as its the reflective strips that make it legit not the base clour

Thats What I Was Always Told, Its The Frequency Of The Reflective Strips Not The Base Colour That Matters.

The real clue was in the first post when he said he was dealing with a wummin.:eek:

We wear a mixture - yellow boilers but when it rains some of us have got orange wet jackets-all our clients are in the considerate scheme...& we have neverbeen pulled up on orange-i think shes just trying to make the point that if a clitoris is bigger than 6in it counts as a penis so u gotta take notice of her
theire weard! not the clothse but big thingies....

Last edited:
P/C lays down what & when happens on site, should notify all subbies before start of project

Golden Rule

"He who has the Gold, makes the Rules"

Top Bottom