Help

Brinjardine

Reaction score
I have been scaffolding 20 years and am wanting to go off shore. Could anybody help or point me in the right direction. Just someone to talk to about the best way forward. Thanks

First point of call I'd say is look into getting the offshore courses done, bosiet and mist are the basic ones to get you going. Just google them names mate I think there are training centres in norwich, aberdeen and Southampton all different companies obviously

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

You sure you've been doin it 20 years? Thought you may have come across the above info in that time.

I'm doing my certs at survivex at the end of the month, they were doing both BOISET and MIST for 599 if you booked it before the end of 2013. Might be worth giving them a call to see if you could get something similar out of them.

Before you throw away your money ask yourself this will I get a job offshore I did the full bag of mashings at survivex last year and still no work offshore iam afraid its not what you know but who you know and surely with your long term experience you would have come across scaffolders with offshore experience.
I was sat in the canteen last week minding my own business and a lad I came across 3 years ago was blowing his own trumpet bn scaffolding 10 years run big jobs was the only scaff in the company who companies always call first for call outs and this man couldn't even stand alongun up 3 years ago old hands can spot a walter mitty a mile off a lot of scaffs exaggerate their experience in this job and if we was to retire on the amount of years some men had bn scaffolding some would be nearly 90 with the years they have been on individual jobs,
By all means iam not saying you are a walter but this happens a lot scc

Not all lads are like that ssc some of us are decent grafters trying to make a better living for us and our families, granted there are a few idiots and super scaffs in this game but there are a lot of good blokes also. I booked my certs knowing there was no guarentee of work afterwards but I'd regret not trying if I didn't. I wish the OP the best of luck, like I've read on here before we should all stick together

Mick get yourself in a union pal, it will give you protection when you get offshore. Its the oca agreement, that gaurentees you certain money while out there and slso helps on bluebook sites

I'm in the unite union mate, all of the lads on our site are.

Im joining myself this year, im not back in the industrial sector yet but im just putting things in place for when i do.

Before you throw away your money ask yourself this will I get a job offshore I did the full bag of mashings at survivex last year and still no work offshore iam afraid its not what you know but who you know and surely with your long term experience you would have come across scaffolders with offshore experience.
I was sat in the canteen last week minding my own business and a lad I came across 3 years ago was blowing his own trumpet bn scaffolding 10 years run big jobs was the only scaff in the company who companies always call first for call outs and this man couldn't even stand alongun up 3 years ago old hands can spot a walter mitty a mile off a lot of scaffs exaggerate their experience in this job and if we was to retire on the amount of years some men had bn scaffolding some would be nearly 90 with the years they have been on individual jobs,

SCC That Walter Mitty comment made me laugh spot on mate, could be wasted on any under 10 years in the game though.

So true Earnest fast track training companies all they want is your money and if your a family man that is a lot of money to lay out with no guarantee of work and happy new year Earnest

You're right it does seem to be a lot of who you know. I have worked most of the time doing street work in London. I live in Scotland now and still used to work in London taking jobs on price, but the prices are not what they used to be. Not to mention the day rate in Glasgow is not great either. Thanks for your advice anyway appreciated.

What I would look out for is vacancies onshore with offshore work companies brinjardine and if they want you offshore me old mucker let them foot the bill survivex will take your money off you as quick as you like if you have a goal stick to it but try and keep your money in your pocket all the best scc

plenty of info in the jobs section OFFSHORE WORK
I have worked offshore for near 20 years on and off,its not the promised land but it does work for some.If you get a good platform it can make all the difference me personally I preffer projects with plenty of scaffs and loads of laughs but each to their own.
As previously stated by the topcat in on the paradise isle in the south pacific Holland can be an easier entry route to the offshore sector.
It can be expensive doing the training but NO CARD NO JOB SO TO SPEAK,at this time of year maybe better options
ALL THE BEST IN YOUR QUEST;)

Top Bottom