Help needed by non-scaff bod!

tenn1svet

Reaction score
We've had some scaffolding installed (by carded scaffolders) for roof access and edge protection, around 3 sides of a 2-storey extension. It seems to use rakers instead of ties to the building. The ground at the foot of the raker slopes away from the building.

The foot of the rakers have no baseplate, and the ground has not been dug away as per GE700 produced by CITB (pg. 9 of jan 2009 issue).The ends of the tubing is just rested on wood (or in one case, left on the paving slab). The foot of the raker is not tied back to the main scaffold, though it is tied to the scaffold higher up.

Are there valid reasons for this and I'm over-reacting, or is it a case of "can you come back and do it properly, please?". Sorry there's not much more info, but any suggestions will be helpful, noting I have no scaffold experience as such and was relying on a reputable company.

Doesn't need a base plate, a sole board is common practice and as long as the length from the bottom of the raker up to the tie back is no greater than 14', it's all good!

What he said, you don't put baseplates under rakers. How high is the job? Do you have any pictures??

2 storeys you where lucky to get Rakers with or without base plates , why you asking if you already have a copy of a CITB book ?

tenn1svet. Welcome to this Forum. Please could you up load some pictures of the raking ties. If there is a problem the scaffs on this site will tell you in no uncertain terms.

Is it doing the job it was erected for?

If the answer is no get them back.
If the answer is yes stop bleating.

Is it doing the job it was erected for?

If the answer is no get them back.
If the answer is yes stop bleating.

I think that tone is un-called for. Any skilled profession develops a "feel" for the job that to the novice does not have. Scaffolding is no different in this respect.

The OP probably just wants reassurance that what has been erected is good for purpose.

I think he already knows the answer.

Mmm. I can sort of see where you're coming from. He (or possibly she) seemed quite familiar with the terminology and probably not just a member of the public.

I hope the OP was not a WUM ..... Trampled Garden anyone? ;)

You don't have to be a scaffolder to notice faults in edge protection. You do need at least £69.50 for a copy of GE700, so where did he pick up his 2009 edition, WH Smiths?

Spikey in here, isn't it? Let's hope no-one sees this and is put off by tone of some of the responses, eh?

Trevor - spot on, thanks, reassurance is what I was after, I tried the www but there's too much info. and the job was dropped on me last minute and I was trying to keep someone in work, but safely.

Swifty - Bleating?!! No dignified response possible, just see above re. tone of comments - maybe you just put someone else off asking a critical question, well done; I wouldn't have wasted my time on this if I already knew the answer, trust me; and finally, (as it seems you're the forum police) a friend emailed me a page from GE700 when I asked him, and I got the terminology and suggestion that the baseplates should be dug in from that.

Skilled it is, rocket science it ain't.

I'd ask what a WUM and a Trampled Garden are, but I wouldn't want to know the inner secrets of the scaffolders world!

Thanks to the other helpful responses, it seems like the set up is basically ok. All I have to do know is find out if the contractor has any WAH skills!

Spikey in here, isn't it? Let's hope no-one sees this and is put off by tone of some of the responses, eh?

Trevor - spot on, thanks, reassurance is what I was after, I tried the www but there's too much info. and the job was dropped on me last minute and I was trying to keep someone in work, but safely.

Swifty - Bleating?!! No dignified response possible, just see above re. tone of comments - maybe you just put someone else off asking a critical question, well done; I wouldn't have wasted my time on this if I already knew the answer, trust me; and finally, (as it seems you're the forum police) a friend emailed me a page from GE700 when I asked him, and I got the terminology and suggestion that the baseplates should be dug in from that.

Skilled it is, rocket science it ain't.

I'd ask what a WUM and a Trampled Garden are, but I wouldn't want to know the inner secrets of the scaffolders world!

Thanks to the other helpful responses, it seems like the set up is basically ok. All I have to do know is find out if the contractor has any WAH skills!

WUM=Wind Up Merchant
Perhaps its a more common term in the Digital Spy forums. Many people register as new users and ask loaded questions and/or have a rant at the profession and its people. One of these (was quite a while ago) was the user whose name was "Trampled Garden". I don't remember all the details, but his initial post was a complaint that some erected scaffolding included the "extra" of some squashed shrubbery. It was rumoured that "Trampled Garden" was the manifestation of an individual who had been banned.

Apologies for being oblique earlier.

It is a pity that some are so quick to suspect the motive of new members. But this suspicion seems to be a man thing:
47: Misandry - Intimacy - YouTube

The 2009 edition would now be obsolete.There use to be a supplemetary brossure for 1 year that would highlight recent changes before the next edition. Now its a new volume every year to avoid confusion.

We've had some scaffolding installed (by carded scaffolders) for roof access and edge protection, around 3 sides of a 2-storey extension. It seems to use rakers instead of ties to the building. The ground at the foot of the raker slopes away from the building.

The foot of the rakers have no baseplate, and the ground has not been dug away as per GE700 produced by CITB (pg. 9 of jan 2009 issue).The ends of the tubing is just rested on wood (or in one case, left on the paving slab). The foot of the raker is not tied back to the main scaffold, though it is tied to the scaffold higher up.

Are there valid reasons for this and I'm over-reacting, or is it a case of "can you come back and do it properly, please?". Sorry there's not much more info, but any suggestions will be helpful, noting I have no scaffold experience as such and was relying on a reputable company.

Well I may be shot down but here is my 2 pence worth.

As it is an extension I would personally use both ties and rakers. I would through tie through any windows but also put my rakers in as the ties are prone to be removed by stupid window fitters. As long as the base of the raker is on the wooden solepad and that is pretty well secure I would be happy. As for tying back the rakers, that is all well and good in the construction college but in real world terms when builder/roofers/customers etc.. want access around the scaffold maintained this does not always happen.

Generally if the builder is happy to work from the scaffold then it should be fine. If you are the builder then you should be experienced enough to know what is good and what is a bit shoddy.

These are just my opinions...

Top Bottom