Help for college needed please!

Beau

Reaction score
I've just started an HNC civil engineering course to eventually become a designer. My first assignment was given this week and is on design principles and application.

I was wondering if any of you nice people out there have any design drawings I could use to refer to in my assignment and use in my appendices. The smaller the design the better really and something a bit different. Also if you used of followed a plan or system of work that would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Do ur own homework ffs you students allways want the easy option

Poofter, if I was already a designer and able/qualified to do so, do you think I'd be asking for any assistance? If I had any drawings from any jobs I had done, I would obv use them. Hence why I'm asking, I don't. Cheers

Thank you havespannerwilltravel,

If you do have both it would help out a lot.

My email is beau_great-rex@hotmail.co.uk

Thank you very much, it's much appreciated

I will of course, owe you a favour or two once qualified.

Isn't the whole point of college that they give you a task,you attempt it,they show you where you are correct and where you went wrong?if you just submit someone elses designs aint you not only cheating,but storing up trouble for yourself in the future cos you won't have the first clue about designs?.

That's why you have to reference work, you don't use it as your own.

You write about something and then reference a qualified persons work for agreeing or disagreeing with what has been said.

You have to use others work to help support/back up your own theories as they are considered 'professionals' as they have already had work published and studied that field in which they are talking about. If I wrote something it's not considered correct as I haven't qualified or researched/studied that field... Hence why you have to reference and quote a 'professionals' piece of work.

Wtf...pml us being called professionals lollol
The only thing we can get published is the smut written on the toilet doors

Good luck to u beau if i can dig out anything il help ya.its all part of the learning process

How can you disagree with a published professional on your first assignment for a HNC and prove you are right? They must have really upped the entrance grades.

For future reference: having your name on a drawing does not equal "published professional" and unless you already have an indepth knowledge of the design principles behind the scheme, you are going to have a hard time proving it. For academic study "because it works because my dad/mate/dog did it" isn't good enough.

This sounds an awful lot like a module that used to be called Industrial Applications, where you and your team would submit your own work on the given project.

If you try to skip steps now you'll really struggle come presentation time. They don't want mega calcs, they (your teachers/lecturers) want to see that you're capable of researching, organising and referencing your own projects.

Back in the day, we used to have to read books.

/rant

Beau, You part time or full time mate?

Also, if you want decent appendicies; your college should have a log-in to 'IHS'.

Look for the following:

BS5973
BS5975
BS:EN12811-1

It's generally good to get copies of these if you want to go into scaffold engineering anyway and especially good as they are free.

I'm studying part time 1 day a week including evenings mate.

Thank you for the useful information and tips, I can log into 'IHS', however, I can't view the document in full, only an option to buy it, should this be free through the college?

Next step is to find a company that may take me on as a trainee ideally or maybe at least allow a work-placement type of scheme.

Thank you mate

I'm from Cheshire mate, but I'd be more than willing to travel to gain the experience or a possible start somewhere.

Many thanks

Top Bottom