Have I wasted my Time

madcat

Reaction score
Hi everyone Im new to the forum and thought id post a thread up.

I am currently unemployed thinking of starting a buisness up soon but would like to know your thoughts on a situation ive had.
For the last 5 months I have been working in a training centre getting trained as a apprentice scaffolder. I finished the course 3 weeks ago and for the entire 5 months we were there we were told that you could get a job out of this which was the plan.

So we started with 14 people on the course and neally all of them dropped like flys we began with 14 and finished with 3. I couldn't believe it only 3 of us lasted the 5 months.

At the end we got some kind of diploma which was the 1st part of becoming fully qualified I think after 2-3 years of course.
But after looking on this forum I have discorved that this course may have been a complete waste as the diploma is almost worthless to employers even to just labouring.

So is it true have i wasted my time? The other thing aswell is that I am thinking of starting a buisness and dont know if I should continue pursuing this career. I enjoyed the 5 months I was training but found scaffing to be hard which did worry me a bit due to saftey and we did have a few incidents ( 1 kid broke broke his shoulder when a 21 dropped on him, It was his own fault tho)

Any answers extremely greatful thanks.

I have never heard of a 5 month course in scaffolding to be honest madcat , what does your diploma say you have achieved ?

Scaffolding has always been hard work and is a lot harder on the job then in any collage and is not suited to everyone .

I dont think you have wasted your time if scaffolding is what you want to do then 5 months at collage must have taught you the basics .

Most of us started as labourers and worked our way up to scaffolders in time , you do need to learn to hump gear and load lorrys to start with.

THANK
For your shree your infromation about scaffold job there is no need diploma jast only need your ida for this buisness .care fully before you start this buisness you shoud have good worker very importent for this job if you dont have hard worker this buisness is nothing.

I should of said it wasnt a collage per say it was a scaff training centre called simian skill and yea we learned alot like independents, Bird cage and truss outs (they were hard). I havnt actually recieved the diploma yet i did complete it but i dont know if it comes in the post or what.

To rkhan, i dont mind labouring we did lots of it and i like been kept busy so that wasnt a problem ive never worked on a building site either so thats still to come ;)

Welcome back Allan :D

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

Simian used to be on here all the time , maybe they can comment ?

been playing as a scaffolder for 5 months and you want to start a firm... . . . .

most of the people i have worked for never or will have a clue so you probably will be alright,no offence intended . the game is fooked

if it's a wind up, or not! it is funny..... :) Mr Madcat.... get a job as a labourer with some scaff firm.... become a good labourer... learn the ropes... the ccracck... 1st 20yrs is always hard...best of luck

A course for unemployed people which at the end of the course leaves the learner in the same spot unemployed.The training provider gets paid due to the learner achieving a Diploma. The Only thing that counts in the real world is a CISRS CARD.

THANK
For your shree your infromation about scaffold job there is no need diploma jast only need your ida for this buisness .care fully before you start this buisness you shoud have good worker very importent for this job if you dont have hard worker this buisness is nothing.
You could do with going on that course to learn how to spell mate, your radio rental !

madcat i believe ur only as good as the scaff who taught ya it can take years u start by lernin to handle the tube propally standin stuff up or making sure u always got a proper shoulder full ... then loadin out thinkin ahead ov the scaff ur graftin wiv learnin all the time and stayin a step ahead thats the key if ur a good labourer ur make an even beta scaff... thats how i see it and how i was taught ... but good luck wiv it mate keep us posted on wot u do :eek:)

No i dont want to start a buisness in scaffing thats something else, thanks for answers guys

If not scaffolding what is your business choice? I have never heard of this diploma either but as already posted CISRS is the ticket of choice but after 5 months you are probably a lot more qualified than I am, good luck whatever you decide.

Top Bottom