Hav?

aom

Reaction score
Probably a contender for one of the most boring threads ever to go up on the forum, but even the boring questions require an answer.

There is quite a bit of work coming off in my area with a number of new large clients on the horizon who have a standing list I need to get onto. Nothing we are not used to doing although one or two are fairly indepth. I produced a risk assessment some time ago for the safe use of our IW's and now I have to justify this document and I wondered if anyone can confirm if I have read and understood the guidance correctly.

The shortest ELV is the Hilti at 1 hour 23 minutes, but I have estimated the trigger time using 2 batteries at 1 hour and have restricted its use to that.

A long winded way of asking, as long as I am below the ELV, am I right in assuming I don't need to do anything further?

I have read the HSE website and got my figures using their calculator, I am just concerned that I have understood it correctly.

[FONT=&quot]Come on aom we are talking H&S here, you can never say “[/FONT][FONT=&quot]I don't need to do anything further?”:D:D[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I believe your maths is OK and exposure limits are within the guide-lines[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Of the list below (taken from HSE) I would say that you have covered numbers 1 & 2 and your exposure to HAV is not great enough to warrant number 5, although a reference to health surveillance in your document would not go amiss.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The crux of the regulations is number 3 the control of the use of the equipment, maybe record actual usage/times on a daily basis for each operative. This ensures you are not “likely” to exceed the limits. The HSE does not refer to a “safe” limit, so avoid this word in any written document. With your employees consent, you could ask them to complete a health questionnaire, requesting information if they suffer from any circulatory disease, especially “Reynauds disease”.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As for number 4 the usual,” Information, instruction and training for employees” recorded Toolbox talks, manufactures instructions, safe systems of work, good practice. Charging discharging of batteries, care & storage of equipment[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Vibration Regulations - employers’ duties[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1) Ensure health and safety of employees[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2) Risk assessment[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3) A hierarchy of measures to achieve control[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]4) Information, instruction and training for employees[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]5) Health surveillance if required”[/FONT]

Last edited:
Good man Rigger, I had hoped you would not be too far away from this one for me.

There are only 2 of us here who use them, the young team are still on the spanners. We also do a fair bit of system and can go a week or even more without touching an IW but I suppose on the other hand we can go a couple of weeks or more when we do.

I will have a think about how I have worded my RA, and to be honest, I have never covered a tool box talk with them purely as it relates to just one other, might have to change that.

There has been much discussion, especially when I restricted them to 2 batteries but none recorded.

Thanks again Rigger, just needed a wee confirmation before I included what I do have with my application.

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Good man Rigger, I had hoped you would not be too far away from this one for me.

There are only 2 of us here who use them, the young team are still on the spanners. We also do a fair bit of system and can go a week or even more without touching an IW but I suppose on the other hand we can go a couple of weeks or more when we do.

I will have a think about how I have worded my RA, and to be honest, I have never covered a tool box talk with them purely as it relates to just one other, might have to change that.

There has been much discussion, especially when I restricted them to 2 batteries but none recorded.

Thanks again Rigger, just needed a wee confirmation before I included what I do have with my application.

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

I am so grateful, I posted it twice.:laugh:

Ha ha, p1ss off Marcus, , these things are still the future. ;)

of course it will be BORING ITS ABOUT A DRILL
or is it just a case of the HAVS and the HAV nots;)

The macks have maximum vibration exposure per day of 2.28hrs so its not even a concern- do the maths approx 250 fittings on a 5sec burst is only 12 MINS.
But noise is a concern @ 90-101db you gotta do a noise RA also worth conforming to wah by lanyards. Toolbox talk quoting fact off the data sheet with a common sense attitude to their safe use dont forget wot happened to my finger lol

Change or die I agree with and they are a great thing but...... I guarantee you that someday soon a fukin safety womble will tell you it has to be used with a second handle.....dont shoot the messenger :nuts:

using a hairdryer to tighten fittings aint OLD SCHOOL (I REFUSE TO SPELL IT THE GIZOOGLE WAY) which i am sure you claim to be ;)

Top Bottom