Handrails

meercat

Reaction score
If you erect a handrail around a building, flat roof etc do you get a design?

Bit late when it's done lol. I'd imagine ordanarily no, but might depend on fixings etc to stabilize the guardrail. just my opinion.

Think that would be classed as a Basic scaffold.. so no..

depends how keen the client is that your working for. There is a european standards code of practise called EN:13374- Code of practise for leading edge protection.
which stipulates loadingas required for the differant classes of handrail, these are
Class A which is constructed to withstand a static load, i.e someone leaning on it, Class B is constructed to withstand the the impact from someone slipping down a 30% pitched roof, and Class C is constructed to with stand a heavy duty load impact.
so techniqually speaking you'd have to get a design, cause this would have to be erected in compliance with the designers calculations.
what i've had done in the past is a generic set of drawings for each Class type and this was acepted by everyone i ever issued it to. All it consisted of was a simple section of the handrail showing attachment points and then supplied the calcs.

depends how keen the client is that your working for. There is a european standards code of practise called EN:13374- Code of practise for leading edge protection.
which stipulates loadingas required for the differant classes of handrail, these are
Class A which is constructed to withstand a static load, i.e someone leaning on it, Class B is constructed to withstand the the impact from someone slipping down a 30% pitched roof, and Class C is constructed to with stand a heavy duty load impact.
so techniqually speaking you'd have to get a design, cause this would have to be erected in compliance with the designers calculations.
what i've had done in the past is a generic set of drawings for each Class type and this was acepted by everyone i ever issued it to. All it consisted of was a simple section of the handrail showing attachment points and then supplied the calcs.

Ditto the above.
Ive been sat through almost 3 days worth of sh1t on a Mansell project going over this same dilema. Not our job but Ive been asked to get it sorted. Lots of chiefs on site, very little indians, zero practical knowledge.

Ditto the above.
Ive been sat through almost 3 days worth of sh1t on a Mansell project going over this same dilema. Not our job but Ive been asked to get it sorted. Lots of chiefs on site, very little indians, zero practical knowledge.
if the roof is on dave then you could just call it a demarcation hand rail and with weighted ancor points placed on the roof with harneses to be worn when working externaly to demarcation hand rail thats how it works on other sites

Last edited:
Top Bottom