Handrail staunchions

What about the sockets from Apollo Dave. He sent me a couple of samples to try for roof edge protection. The one's I tried were square, which he assures me is actually better than circular and had a drill hole in all 4 corners.

Hswt,

We get a lot of these fabricated, 1.2m with flat plate, 4 holes in the base or 1.5 m for triple handrail, same 4 holes but we have a triangular gusset to stiffen the upright.

We have never been required to weld test as yet, try nobles in kewdale for ndt test for lateral load, murray tozer is the guy there to ask for.

We buy the hr posts for $35 ish each

Cheers

Celtic

I would advise you to look in the code for required loadings on barriers in and around buildings.
The loads whilst not great are overturning loads consider:
When a horizontal force is applied to the guardrail at the top of the post, the post will rotate either clockwise or anti clockwise (in or out to you and me) this is a multiplying factor. The resistance to said overturning is the base dimension (roughly speaking the distance between the holding down bolts on the bottom.

The holding down bolts would need to resist the horizontal force times the height of the rail, devided by the distance between the bolts, times a factor of safety.

If you are checking the weld your base dimension may well be smaller thus increasing the reaction on the weld.

All the above needs to be achieved whils keeping the accumulated deflections below code requirements.

BS 6180

regards
Alan

edge protection design bs en 13374 : 2004 class a guardrail with 0.3kn horizontal point load & 1.24kn vertical point load on all compenents of the whole system hope this helps

Top Bottom