Guard Rails

R

ragscaff

Can the guard rails be moved for access?

How do you do it without creating an open edge?

Interested on views!! :confused:

Ragscaff

need more detail, but I would say not

other methods of getting the gear in have to be considered apart from the quick easy solution,"the h/rail is in the way remove it"this will leave an open edge that is illegal.

can you fix an up and over gate,that places a double handrail down when lifted for access

As per usual I could be wrong, but I think you can do most things with the right controls and paper work. I'm sure I read a ssow for it somewhere, but not entirely sure if it was an old out of date one.

As per usual I could be wrong, but I think you can do most things with the right controls and paper work. I'm sure I read a ssow for it somewhere, but not entirely sure if it was an old out of date one.

I agree mate, as long as it is a scaffolder doing the alteration, and on the scene for the duration of the Lifting op etc.

A SSOW will need to be produced for any operative attached to the operation and all suitable PPE addressed, Harness etc. I would further add signage of No unathorised entry, and stop end off the scaffold near the current activity.

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

As Far As Reasonably Practicable can cover a immense web of problems, and i must add sort them out. Common sense approach is in fashion again.

I think your right Paddy, but I also think it depends who is running the site and how experienced they are. I prefer dealing with older experienced agents who will listen to suggestions rather than the young gun who can't see it if there is no pictures in the book.

Covered this with Ken Cain, Your both right,Rams rings a bell,scaff in attendance, E.g. If glazier needs to fit a sheet of glass,but handrails obstruct it may be reasonably practicable...Pm Ken..he will know

cant be one of our builders they just move them themselves :eek: we go back so many times and find the scaffold ripped to bits , and when you ask what happened here ,they say " oh that was in our way so we moved it "

Yeah, wish I had a pound for every time I heard that Phil.

guard rails can moved

Cut the rails where you want the opening, lay longer tube on top of the fixed rail covering the opening in doubles (not stickeys). Form Stop ends on both internal standards with swivels that will form a gate action. Close both gates, slide the tubes back to give safe access for loading.

Make sure you check the standards that will carry the loads and put extra trannies in where the loads are being placed.

Make sure your client / users understand what safe loads the scaffolding will carry.

"Bending moment of yield" and all that stuff. :D

Good luck.

Interesting replies.

Asked to do it, told site agent we have to work with an advanced rail so if I removed them & would hook on & if the chippy was up with me he would have to harness as well.

He then should me book from Construction Skills (CITB) stating that guardrail can be removed as long as its replaced! Open statement. Site interpretation is you can remove the rail to undertake the work. Then you are left with an open edge.

The whole point of SG4 2010 was to not allow any work with an open edge.

But if you are not a scaffolder thats alright!!

Ragscaff

As per usual, it all comes down to how your site agent has interpreted it. He has read that and taken from it what he wants. It's not the scaffs that need educated.

Slightly of the point we done a site last year new build and one elevation started of 2 boards wide next lift canter levered to 3 boards and third lift canter levered to 4 boards , so we put box ties in through the windows to save drilling the new brickwork , what does the site agent do, takes them out to put in the windows :eek: only thing now holding it up is the returns at each end 50 foot apart , when i had a go at him about it he says well what else could i do i had to put the windows in, un fuc king belivable

Ragscaff, remember its one rule for them... and overly restrictive rules for us...

Slightly of the point we done a site last year new build and one elevation started of 2 boards wide next lift canter levered to 3 boards and third lift canter levered to 4 boards , so we put box ties in through the windows to save drilling the new brickwork , what does the site agent do, takes them out to put in the windows :eek: only thing now holding it up is the returns at each end 50 foot apart , when i had a go at him about it he says well what else could i do i had to put the windows in, un fuc king belivable

The sooner there is a card for site agents the better. Yes, I know there is a sort of one, but mandatory? Here I am slating the state of the scaff training, maybe I should turn to the universities.

Top Bottom