gotcha system

scaffy 1980

Reaction score
Evening boys.
Had an ex scaffolding instructor now saftey officer for dawnus arrive on site today. And the only thing he could pick up on was the fact was we didnt have a gotcha system near our work area. Now i can understand his point cos theres no fork lift truck access to where were working and theres no way i could pull my lab up on harness if he fell.
Just want to know if anyone has used one before and whats your oppinions of them?. Cos it looks as if he's going to recommend one on site.

Av a word wiv ur boss m8 theyrw quite expensive & training is needed on it.we use miller retreavable block inertia lines..idiot proof & no training needed

If your working in areas where you could not get to the men in question hangers rivers bridges cants then this must be in place but if your man is accessible all you need is a pair of bolt crops and a good Stanley ,lol

i would use the retreivable blocks everytime because as SP rightly stated you need training for the various different height rescue systems and like all training nowadays its costly and will no doubt need refreshed.

Wasn't the safety fella a trainer? :suspicious:

Exactly russ. But i wasn't in the mood for having a lovers tiff with him. I would of thought the twaat would have been on our side not fighting against it. But on the other hand if thats all he can be pickie on then i think as a scaff i've won ( all be it a small win ).

Of course he's not on ur side lol he wants u 2 buy the system off him & then to charge u £££ to train you in its use;)

We have the retrievable inertia reels, easy to use so when the guy above shits himself when you've gone down he can still remember how to get you back!

I found the gotchas and the like you have to use them loads or at least refresh on them loads or you kinda fumble when you try to use them!

This piece of kit is the quickest recovery system on the market if you have to use it on anger to recover any one as you only have 4to7 minuets to get any one back to a safe area depending how fit and what age they are.
The old type of retriever is very slow and depending on the length of fall distance it will take some time and energy to get IP back to safe work area
Its all about your W@H rescue plan and best industry practice in this day and age.
Not all W@H tasks require rescue plans, but their should be no expense spared when it comes to your daily exposure to this risk we take for granted sometimes on a day to day bases
Its you company's duty of care to provide any further training that any employee requires to carry out any work that involves
W@H
As the saying goes don't knock it till you have tried it, this course is an eye opener worth every penny if you can get it.
It must be a hands on course, CBT no good as all videos are death by power point

Top Bottom