gaps

marra watson

Reaction score
little rant on site this morning to remove inside board for dashing on a new timber frame thats got that insulation you dash, for a start it was two insided board and a few inch gap bigger than the insulation we had to ply the board to leave only about an inch gap to the insulation, now we have removed the inside board it leaves a gap of around 260 and they again wanted it plyed (joiners didn ply from 5 board to inside insde board but betwee the inside boards :mad:) so the single inside board was no more than 225 from the insulation not only this they wanted it doubble hand railed for the dashers to be safe ahahha what can you say to people like this what is the max gap you can get away with and how do you word it to them to get it to sink in that at 260 its safe, the gables had been hand railed as it was 230 from insulation it the standard :mad: i swiftly left site after setting inside board to 225

225 is maximum gap given by nasc checklist but if you are not governed by them why comply

This sounds like a pre start dock up so bill them for all work carried out or tell them and I quote
When the user wishes to work off inside bd beyond the greater distance 225 then a ssos including a full body harness with a work restraint lanyard attached to a suitable anchor point must be employed by the scaffold user.

Crazy site agents, had a similar disagreement with a guy on his house build, he wanted the inside board out (same as above, 2 and 4 scaffold ready for render adapt) after speaking to my boss, who said just do what he wants. I left the inner board out around the whole 60m job, to see the old guy slip through said missing inside board, whilst loading blocks out! Whilst trying not to wet myself with laughter I ask if he was okay, he was but I'm sure his pride hurt more! Lol but for my sins I went back the following day to put his loading bay up and to put in all the missing inside boards!!!!!!!!!!!!! ****!!

This sounds like a pre start dock up so bill them for all work carried out or tell them and I quote
When the user wishes to work off inside bd beyond the greater distance 225 then a ssos including a full body harness with a work restraint lanyard attached to a suitable anchor point must be employed by the scaffold user.

he would rather have every thing set at 225 ewith single hand rail even the kicker lift at 3ft even thow the wall to be plaster goes below the bottom lift by 2ft tried to explain to him that the plasters will more than likly rip it out to stand on the floor to plaster the bottom still never sunk in lol

A tube is 48 mm wide why not put a tube against the standards rather than a single rail

he would rather have every thing set at 225 ewith single hand rail even the kicker lift at 3ft even thow the wall to be plaster goes below the bottom lift by 2ft tried to explain to him that the plasters will more than likly rip it out to stand on the floor to plaster the bottom still never sunk in lol

Marra, we get it all the time and to be honest it's a total nightmare. We have tried everything you care to mention without success but as I posted a while back we did work wit one experienced crew of casters who could do the job no problem with no additional gaps created. It was a well tidy job, far better than the slashers we have met on our travels. It is my belief that render can be applied to surfaces without the need for an adapt with just a bit more care and attention. I have met plenty of them that request a bigger and bigger service gap who would be the first to sue you if they ever fell down it.

One final point is, there is no maximum gap allowed for in the regulations, only control measures through individual risk assessment but again the old rules seem to hold some sway with the HSE which used to be if you can get a board in it put it in and if you can't, control the risk.

Marra, we get it all the time and to be honest it's a total nightmare. We have tried everything you care to mention without success but as I posted a while back we did work wit one experienced crew of casters who could do the job no problem with no additional gaps created. It was a well tidy job, far better than the slashers we have met on our travels. It is my belief that render can be applied to surfaces without the need for an adapt with just a bit more care and attention. I have met plenty of them that request a bigger and bigger service gap who would be the first to sue you if they ever fell down it.

One final point is, there is no maximum gap allowed for in the regulations, only control measures through individual risk assessment but again the old rules seem to hold some sway with the HSE which used to be if you can get a board in it put it in and if you can't, control the risk.

bit more care and attention ahahah lol its the job the advanced put up and gbot ripped to pieces lol this is on the job we spent 120 plus man hours sorting out for ian lol it was a timber frame so dont know how they got that up with out any insides hand rails or internal decks 1 rule for 1 and 1 for another

It's not what we do it's what the bastardos can prove we have done.;)

Permissible inside gap is 225mm, if the client wants bigger with no internal guard rail then he must ensure appropriate control measures are implemented and monitored, this usually requires the sub contractor who is to work on the scaffold to carry out a risk assessment and use the control measures he feels are sufficient, this should then be approved by the principal contractor. That's what we have done before now.

Permissible inside gap is 225mm, if the client wants bigger with no internal guard rail then he must ensure appropriate control measures are implemented and monitored, this usually requires the sub contractor who is to work on the scaffold to carry out a risk assessment and use the control measures he feels are sufficient, this should then be approved by the principal contractor. That's what we have done before now.

The proper way, but how many just go "put a single handrail in". These very same men are the ones who shout at us to clip on when we're behind a single guardrail. As if its good enough for none WAH men but not enough to stop us falling!

Too true Flinty. I hate renders and bricked and two day warrior inspectors!

Top Bottom