freestanding Omni Roofing System

neilb

Reaction score
Link below provides access to a time lapse video produced as part of a restoration project which is currently ongoing in West Wales. The scaffold structure which supports the temporary roof had to be designed to be freestanding. The building was found to be in such poor condition that the scaffold could not impose any kind of load on the building. One thing you may notice is the roof pitch was decreased to 11 degrees to reduce wind loading.

Note

I have had to copy and past link into Google to access video, hope someone can input a direct link

Neil

http://vimeo.com/29150679

Last edited:
Excellent post neilb. In all honesty I could have watched it in slo mo as we have a couple jobs with roofs coming up and we have no real experience at building them. One of the boy's is on his advanced at the moment and I thought he would pick up a couple of tips but it seems as far as doing roofs at college it's just a couple of independents bridged with beams at the top with a slight pitch. He did enquire about more in depth training and he now tells me they are running a 2 or 3 day course for roofs. More cash but at least we would certainly learn something.

Anyway, enjoyed your video so thanks for that.

aom

What I would say, is that there is alot of talk about temporary roofs. But in my experience the founding scaffolds are generally far more complex than the actual roofing system. So all you are really looking for is some product training on the specific modular roof system then the scaffolders do not look back from there. Just one point to remember is the actual wind loads that the roof applies to the scaffold / building structure (some of these can be massive)
I'm sure, if planned correctly you'll enjoy installing the roof systems.

Neil

I hope your right Neil, I have enlisted a couple of learner'd friends from the forum to help us with some distant learning.:embarrest: I met a very nice fella who showed me one of his first attempts at a roof which was a disaster but the span was massive so I take your point regarding wind loads. Should it be a success I will post a few pictures, might not be up there with some of the large scale roofs you are used to but it will do for us. Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Aom

aom

On a number of occasions we have actually built a mock up in the yard prior to the actual erection on site. Just a couple of kicker lifts in the yard and get the guys who are going to install the system to practice using the components etc. The mock up does not have to be the same size as the roof you are going to build but the important thing is the scaffs get an opportunity to argue the toss in the yard, make mistakes, put things in arse backwards. But when they get to site they will look like a well oiled machine. Should be a Saturday morning well spent.

Neil

AOM,i hire my temp roofs from G.Roberts in liverpool and on the first couple we did they provided on the job training at no cost to me,i dont know if they would go to scotland though ha,but you could try,or maybe ask the provider to give your lads the same product training:blink1:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 14
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 12
great post..........i bought my 1st spanner from G.Roberts after the 1 my dad give me....the date expired :/

AOM,i hire my temp roofs from G.Roberts in liverpool and on the first couple we did they provided on the job training at no cost to me,i dont know if they would go to scotland though ha,but you could try,or maybe ask the provider to give your lads the same product training:blink1:

We have had same product training it was handy a few years ago as all we had done was roofs with tin sheets,abated have found is that if you take a bit of time and get the first bay off the roof bang on the rest falls into place,and they look real tidy when you are finished.

Dont for get about snow loads lads 250kg sq metre min sometimes more depending location and obviouslt time of year

Top Bottom