Fred dibnah

bolo

Reaction score
Alright scaffs hope ya all ok just been watching this legend fred dibnah erect a chimney scaffold old school style.So as i was watching this expert work have any of you ever worked alongside a steeplejack and is there an element of distant cousins going on if you know what i mean.But sereious if you get the chance to watch him erect scaffolding :) do so its on you tube

great series mate watched it many times old fred done some hairy jobs didnt he WONDER IF HE HAD HIS CSCS SMART CARD??

I was blown away when i saw him working just by looking at him work you knew he was a legend in the making.Dont know much about him but is he a scaff or a steeplejack and is ther much diffrence in the two trades?

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

could you imagine him taking his card for an induction and some snotty site manager telling him to wear a harness lol wheres my rope and hammer ha ha

yep true legend! Big statue of him in Bolton. we been supllying the gear for his chimney renovation on his house (the fred dibnah heritage centre) He was also a good bricklayer too, probably turn his hand to anything.

i remember when i first started my old man bombing gear on a site from 40 foot and all we had was a sign say " scaffolders bombing " i said to him do you think that sign is good enough , he said ( in his Irish accent) "sure it would be a awful edgit that would walk under a man bombing " :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

things where much simpler back then

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

yep true legend! Big statue of him in Bolton. we been supllying the gear for his chimney renovation on his house (the fred dibnah heritage centre) He was also a good bricklayer too, probably turn his hand to anything.

thats right i remember you saying that mate ,
hows it all going at the Dibnas chimney

I reckon his cap was as good as any modern saftey helmet with all the years crap on it..

Used to watch him on the telly, remember his method of dismanling chimney stacks. remove bricks from the bottom and propping up with timber, and when he had enough out, he set a light to the timber and eventually the lot came down right where he said it would. Also his hobby was restoring steam engines. Great man.

Phillio, have you still got the sign? i am stripping a six lifter on monday and would love to see the site managers face when he came out of his office:nuts::nuts::nuts:

was there last night Phil. When we first went they had basically erected the scaffold themselves using some of freds gear. but had run short. so just before christmas they got in touch with us asked us if we supply them with the rest to finish it and we can put a banner on and when the tv cameras come and local paper they will credit us with supplying them. But this chimney is about 12meters high. and they need anouther 6 metres of scaffold above it to fit block & tackle to lower a steel flue and weld it together etc to stop the chimney falling over. well now they cant do it themselves as it is a big job. I dont want to touch it as it should be designed, really should be stripped and re-erected properly, I don't know exactly but it is going to cost big money to do and I feel sorry for the guy as he's trying to save freds work, his chimney, his mineshaft, a few engines etc and he has enherited a big problem with this chimney. You would think something like english heritage would help him. I really don't know what to suggest to him apart from a big quote for the work.

Just watched the film, great bit of action.:cool: now would like to see a 2 day scaff inspector climb up and condemn it. lol.::D

fred was class a total ledgend loved watching him on tv years ago and then the repeats

just goes to show you that a card of any kind doesnt mean you know what your doing !!! you cant buy experience.

Would have loved to work with him and learn a few things. The man had true working class values. Worked hard, played hard, honest and is an inspiration.

Top Bottom