Foot through roof !!

topnotch

Reaction score
Hi all, ive just signed up on here because i need some answers please & honest ones, im not a scaffolder but have been in the building trade a while now & have just had to carry out some roof repairs to a domestic property, my question is this,,, i turned up to the job last week & have noticed a big hole in the offshot pitched slate roof, not the main roof i was asked to carry work out on, i left it till the guys came back the following week to dismantle & asked them what had happened, now i i know accidents cant be helped sometimes & was prepared to fix it without complaining, heres what im not happy about, when i questioned it one of the fellas said these things just happen mate,, you have to walk on the roofs !! i just want to know if this is so or can you erect without walking on a roof or lay a scaff plank or something to protect the roof just so i know for future jobs and also when is a scaffold ticket meant to be issued as they didnt put one on mine, ive used other companies in the past & they have always put one on, the attitude from these fellas was very hostile too, no sorry mate or anything of the sort so wont be using them again maybe i just got a cowboy firm ?? anyway would be good to know where i stand, or where not in this case, lol,

topnotch , we always write in our quotes that
" while every care will be taken when working on roofs some damage may occur "
It is almost impossible to not break tiles when working on them especially when you are carrying scaffold on your back .
That said there is no need for any hostility or attitude about it.

It is not a legal requirement for us to Scafftag a job , but it is a requirement to issue a handing over certificate.

Sounds like you just used a bad company mate

Thanks for making that clear guys,, i cant see me getting anywhere if i complain so this time i will let it go & just put it down to a cowboy company, other firms i have used in the past have all done a good job, left a ticket & been friendly, just thought i would try a new firm, i will go back to Hallam Scaffolding (Sheffield) from now on, a little bit dearer but guess its like the old saying " you get what you pay for " anyway thanks for replying, stay safe !!

foot in roof !!

Thanks "Bin there" fixed the roof today so its just history now !! but i will be more cautious next time,,, im a Carpenter & we have plenty of the same types of companies, it really annoys me as its these types of companies who help give the Construction Trade a bad name, it was mainly their attitude more than the big hole that annoyed me & to make it worse the client was standing next to me when the guy kicked off, wish i could name & shame, nevermind.

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you got a right old sh1te outfit there, who blacken the name of decent scaffs blacklist them mate and shop round in future, good luck

Top Bottom