Fast Tying Doubles

joebag

Reaction score
Every once in a while ive come across doubles with a thread on them that is twice the width,only way i can describe it really,which ties it off twice as quick.Does anyone know what these doubles are called,if they are legal and what the swl of one is,got a bit of spare time at the mo so getting every question answered:nuts:

i mill's doubble ya need a strong hand like him of scary movie to wrpa them off thow

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t_tgiWatvs]Scary Movie 2 (4/11) Movie CLIP - Dinner Made by Hand (2001) HD - YouTube[/ame]

Might look a bit wet behind the ears here but mills are the doubles that enable you to go double on double with your transoms and still board it,if so the threads on these were defo not mills:huh:

Burton used to make a range of pressed steel fittings called "burton unique" with a speed thread , have also seen mills with speed threads and other types of drop forged with speed threads

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

i was told once they vibrate loose easier

i think i right when i say it was gkn/mills that developed the speed thread for their fittings that we used to use back in the 80s ,then burton and bolton tried to pinch the idea of the speed thread only, not the actual fittings and for a little while was putting speed threads onto their own brands, something happend that brought the whole idea of the speedthread into view reguarding there was a real danger in nuts slipping the tread if the fittings were well worn as the guage between the die cut was to great to hold, i left gkn in the early 90s and tbh apart from the colledge haven't come accross them since...but they were a great fitting none the less

Yeah speed thread they were. However as mentioned the thread used to strip on a lot of them and some I came across were aluminimum with steel bolts. Would not trust these with high loading scaffolds or hangers though.

mills 90 speed thread as already explained.they were banned offshore in the early 90s due to the vibration on the platforms were "shaking" them loose.on the street however they are great ;)

Might look a bit wet behind the ears here but mills are the doubles that enable you to go double on double with your transoms and still board it,if so the threads on these were defo not mills:huh:

Yea they sit perfectly ontop of one another so there isn't a massive gap between the ledger and trany, but don't think you can still board it as if it was single on double.

They are also handy for clipping two toe boards onto one standard.

I worked for GKN mills in the 80'sand i concur mills's speed thread best double ever

Agreed

Last edited:
Yea they sit perfectly ontop of one another so there isn't a massive gap between the ledger and trany, but don't think you can still board it as if it was single on double.

They are also handy for clipping two toe boards onto one standard.

Agreed

hi gaz
they do perfectly fit double on double with no gap ......
intermediate transoms were fixed by the mills single clip ( hook ) just the same as a the traditional wrap over putlog coupler

hi gaz
they do perfectly fit double on double with no gap ......
intermediate transoms were fixed by the mills single clip ( hook ) just the same as a the traditional wrap over putlog coupler

Hi mate, not trying to be contreversial or anything but as far as I am aware using double on double with mills's there is actually a slight gap between the tranny and ledger. Therefore the the main transoms are at a slightly different level to the intermediates. I'm quite sure also that the doubles on the transoms foul the measurement for the boards, because the boards will sit on the doubles uneven. I hope someone can correct me if I am wrong. Cheers.

gaz, wrong on both points except on a birdcage if you want aflush finish with no gaps it has to be double single

Top Bottom