Estimating in Linear Meters

scaff38

Reaction score
How many of you use linear meters for estimating materials & how many fitting do you require per linear meter?

I'm guessing it's not many going by how long you have had to wait for an answer. I prefer M2, but still couldn't tell you how many fittings you would need. No doubt you will get a few theories which could be interesting.

are you on a estimating format 38 its just as quick linear is worked out on linears per man hr 20 boards per man hr I think 50 fittings per man hr then transport a format will save you time and money there are some good ones out there bud scc

Total gobbledygook to me scc, put it in layman's terms for the great unwashed.

Without buying an expensive programme just work out what you need for say a 10m run and multiply it by whatever you need.
Don't forget your hemps.

These programmes do make you lazy. I'm too used to just inputting sizes and getting it all done for me.

We estimate in linear but as for materials its a guesstimate till we dont need anymore on site lol.

sat the estimating course at bullwel aom best part of 750 quid all linear does is create a price for running mtr I purchased a format and it cut all the hassle out of the job calculated everything the format was 100 large second hand I still have the case formula somewhere in the house it is a good bit of kit but when I first set up my business I had my professional head on and wanted to make sure I crossed all the T.s an dot the eyes and was left quite miserable realising it was a crock of crap scc

In my experience, it does not make a difference how you "charge up" your quote the bottom line you try make a profit, the basic is,

Labour cost £1.00

Material cost / hire £.50

transport cost £.50

Overheads Cost £.50

Material Cost £.50 (if required)

Profit £.20

Above is the basic, if you are not winning work, one of the above you got wrong.

By the way, don't use the above prices or you will go skint very quick. :)

---------- Post added at 04:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 AM ----------

sorry 2 material costs, got a bit carried away, no wonder they slung me out of the estimating department. \:):D

sat the estimating course at bullwel aom best part of 750 quid all linear does is create a price for running mtr I purchased a format and it cut all the hassle out of the job calculated everything the format was 100 large second hand I still have the case formula somewhere in the house it is a good bit of kit but when I first set up my business I had my professional head on and wanted to make sure I crossed all the T.s an dot the eyes and was left quite miserable realising it was a crock of crap scc

I did something similar myself with cads but now just really use it to model jobs.

Thanks to everyone I was always told 4 fitting to a linear metre, having a problem trying to explain to theses rag heads how many fitting I need for this project. Done it in m2 & m3 still can’t get it across to them.:mad:

Top Bottom