End of the drought... Start of a new boom?

J

Jason-Gibbs

Hi guys.

Im a bit of a money-chaser and ive been keeping a close watch on this forum, newspapers and websites for Scaffolding Jobs, even if im working at the time or not, (I cant help being a greedy fukker, lol).
A few years ago during the height of the recession trying to find a decent paying job was like looking for a needle in a haystack. - All the decent jobs were manned up and the boys were sitting tight and keeping their heads down.

But...
Recently ive noticed that theres a alot more jobs appearing and alot of cranes/hording/scaffolding going up and Scaffolding lorries tearing about in and around London, with more then likely the same going on around the rest of the country (hopefully anyway).

Theres: Thameslink, Crossrail, Sports Stadiums, several new Super-Skyscrapers, about a dozen Powerstations, Ports & Docks all being planned to be built in the next few years and the normal maintenance work that we've always had, which will keep alot of us busy, if we're lucky, not to mention with this lack of work alot of the foreign labour has pissed off back home (fingers crossed, lol).
And ALOT of work for decent British Scaffolders being asked for to work abroad...

With any luck all our perseverance has paid off.
We've weathered the storm and come through the worse of it, with hopes of a new construction boom for us to all earn a decent wage again and give ourselves and families a better life. :)

In the words of the master himself:
"Never give up. Never, never give up!. We shall go on to the end." - Sir Winston Churchill.

Hopefully we'll be looking at a new boom soon and we can all go earn some money! :cool:

Hope youre right J. About 10 months ago,speaking to a few surveyors and civil engineers on site,they were just pulling in a bit of work after a lean spell.
When they start work,others follow.
Now as you say jobs going up all over the place. Long may it last. Money men have been diving in picking up cut price properties, tho banks and building societies still asking for as much as 40% deposit,indicates to me they have no confidence in the recovery.
Our children will never save the deposits.

i thick you may be right about things turning round i run my own firm and over the past 2 or 3 mounths things have picked up, we are very besy at the min hopefully things will keep like this, i have got some good lads work for me and theyt may be able to get a couple of pound a hr working some where else, but not blowing my own trumped i have not drop there money when times where bad and they was only work two or three days a week i still payed them for a full week, and i have talk to them about how much work we have comeing in and told them, there will not be any pay rise this year but there will be bonus on jobs, cause i do not want to give pay rises and come winter thick die down and i have to cut there money, and they have said there happy with that fingers cross we will keep busy.

B-SAFE IF ONLY THERE WERE MORE BOSSES LIKE YOURSELF,TOOK YOUR BIT OUT OF THE GAME BUT WILLING TO GIVE A BIT BACK.;)
ON THINGS PICKING UP I WOULD AGREE,BUT WITH ALL THIS BANKING AND EU **** GOING ON I DONT WANT TO COUNT MY CHICKENS JUST YET.
REGARDING ALL THE BIG POWER STATION CONTRACTS,WATCH OUT FOR THE BIG MULTINATIONALS CHANCING THEIR ARMS AND TRYING TO RENAGE ON THE NATIONAL AGREEMENTS AND BRING IN THE CHEAP UNSKILLED FOREIGN LABOUR :mad:

dont wanna dampen your party spirits, but the ftse index has just had a massive crash , prompting fears of another recession because of the debt in america, plus the euro problems in greece , spain, portugal etc etc .

so yes you might see more jobs advertised, more jobs going up but will they all get paid for or will we be seeing more companies going pop

I would agree with the words of caution. I might have agreed with you Jason as little as a couple of weeks ago but with trouble brewing over the Atlantic I foresee stormy waters ahead and some of these jobs that have been coming out of hibernation lately could just as easily be mothballed just as quickly. It's amazing how even a tiny area like mine is reliant on the Dollar so the big cities could be even more susceptible.

Everybody seems to be very busy. We are pulled out with it right now and long may it continue. hip hip!!!!

Yep things are up but the time of year going off past years has a lot to do with it.
If things remain steady we all have a chance, but they do recon the next couple of months will tell on the building contractor’s side. So my advice to all is tie your payments down and get your money in as the bankruptcies are building up in the courts .

i hope you are all right and things are on the up!!! but i think we still have alot worst to come, has been very hard these last two years and i would hate to see any of us caught out. so buckle down lads its going to be a hard long winter

no doubt another excuse to shaft the lads out of a decent crust coming up.
I CAN HEAR IT NOW "YOU ARE LUCKY TO STILL HAVE A JOB","I WILL HAVE TO CUT YOUR MONEY DUE TO THE CURRENT CLIMATE":mad:
dont let them hold us all to ransom,that means the big contractors using any means possible to renage on payments etc.

ftse has slumped by 3 figure numbers for 4 days in a row, first time it has ever happened in its history, so extremely choppy waters ahead chaps.

we getting undercut left right and centre up here which doesnt help any fcuker, clients are phoning round and round then getting back to you saying such an such is couple hundred pounds cheaper than you , but id rather use you if you could match them, yeah stick it pal.

ftse has slumped by 3 figure numbers for 4 days in a row, first time it has ever happened in its history, so extremely choppy waters ahead chaps.

we getting undercut left right and centre up here which doesnt help any fcuker, clients are phoning round and round then getting back to you saying such an such is couple hundred pounds cheaper than you , but id rather use you if you could match them, yeah stick it pal.

One company up our way is pricing everything so low they are undercutting everyone then they aren’t showing up and we are picking up calls from guys panicking after a week or so cos the scaffolders haven’t shown up. They want us to match price and do the job yesterday.

One company up our way is pricing everything so low they are undercutting everyone then they aren’t showing up and we are picking up calls from guys panicking after a week or so cos the scaffolders haven’t shown up. They want us to match price and do the job yesterday.

this is where you can say this is our price, or tell them you pay peanuts you get monkeys who do not show up, down our way a lot of the ones doing the undercutting have gone you can only go on for so long working for nothing, they last about a year.

its allabout the dosh and 90% of it is cack so the were still in this thatcherite dross for a wile i suspect .

Top Bottom