Edge protection.

guymac

Reaction score
Is there any laws relevant to hand rail edge protection ? Do i have to supply double or triple on a sloping roof approx 7 meters from floor to gutter level.
Cheers in advance

You would need double as a minimum anyway, but with that job defo triple..

To keep it legal double handrail as a minimum but triple would be good practice , as they say if your gonna do it , do it right .

i always put in double then if i think it needs it i stick another one on , depends on the height of the ridge and the works being done , sometimes a treble handrail with debris netting makes a really good job.

Not really about price though... if the job needs 3, then that would have been worked onto the price...

You need to be careful in this situation mate.

A man falling down a roof and hitting a barrier at speed would require the barrier to have a greater SWL than the standard 0.75kN/LM for a 950mm barrier. (0.5 for a person and 0.25 for wind load)

You also have issues where it would be hard not to justify a 'padded' finish on any solid edge protection in your RA for works on a sloping roof.

If the roof has an angle of 10° or more, then I would recommend working from crawler boards or similar and seeking design advice on the required SWL of any barrier.

Is there any laws relevant to hand rail edge protection ? Do i have to supply double or triple on a sloping roof approx 7 meters from floor to gutter level.
Cheers in advance
With an angle like that I think your looking at a class c handrail system that requires netting as well as rails as I remember it . The legislation is BS EN 13374 as I remember it. You could just do a double like everyone else !Edge protection systems are selected
primarily based on the gradient of the
surface for which they are to provide
protection. The performance requirements
for the various classes are detailed within
the standard BS EN 13374 thus:-

Class A:
Provides protection to flat surfaces and
slopes generally up to 10º. It provides
resistance to static loads and is based on
the requirements to support a person
leaning against, walking beside, and possibly
stumbling against the edge protection.
Class B:
Provides protection to flat surfaces and
slopes, generally up to 30º, and to even
steeper slopes with short slope lengths. It
provides resistance to both static and low
dynamic loads and is based on the
requirements to support a person leaning
against, walking beside, possibly stumbling
against and sliding down a sloping surface
towards the edge protection.
Class C:
Provides protection to steeply sloping
surfaces, generally up to 45º, and up to 60º
for 5m slopes. It provides resistance to
high dynamic loads only and is based on
the requirements to contain a person
sliding down a steeply sloping surface Just found this on the net , hope it helps

Last edited:
With an angle like that I think your looking at a class c handrail system that requires netting as well as rails as I remember it . The legislation is BS EN 13374 as I remember it. You could just do a double like everyone else !

Oh hark at you trying to muscle in on my excellent post with a sensible answer.

You and me are finished!!

Oh hark at you trying to muscle in on my excellent post with a sensible answer.

You and me are finished!!
Sorry mate, I don't know what came over me there, one minute I was reading the thread,........next minute I was penning a sensible answer with EN numbers and everything ! Its ok now just opened a can of 1664 .Normal service resumed

Do you still love me ?????

Sorry mate, I don't know what came over me there, one minute I was reading the thread,........next minute I was penning a sensible answer with EN numbers and everything ! Its ok now just opened a can of 1664 .Normal service resumed

Do you still love me ?????

Well, maybe if you take me to the cinema and then McDonalds at the w/end, I might consider forgiving you...

Well, maybe if you take me to the cinema and then McDonalds at the w/end, I might consider forgiving you...
Not Nandos then ? you know its a quality dining establishment. I read that on a list somewhere you know.

Not Nandos then ? you know its a quality dining establishment. I read that on a list somewhere you know.

I've no idea what you are talking about, but I'm off to the pub anyway to talk about something, or anything, that is far more interesting than scaffolding....

Shouldn't be hard.

Laters.

NB. You failed to thank me for post #10

I've no idea what you are talking about, but I'm off to the pub anyway to talk about something, or anything, that is far more interesting than scaffolding....

Shouldn't be hard.

Laters.

NB. You failed to thank me for post #10
Can't be done I'm afraid, scaffolding is the most interesting thing known to man. Table for 1 in the pub is it !

Can't be done I'm afraid, scaffolding is the most interesting thing known to man. Table for 1 in the pub is it !

Reading beermats, and pretending to send and recieve Texts springs to mind...... and a pkt of Porky scratchings, if your feeling really rebelious.:D

Top Bottom