Easy fix transoms & ledger braces

vinny

Reaction score
Can someone point me in the direction or give advice on the use of easy fix transoms and the ommssion of ledger braces.

I have trawled through guidance and TG20 :weird:,

Can someone offer definitive guidance :idea:, items i`ve read or been told as follows

The suppliers of fix should provide guidance on load capacity of the fix to assist in the decsion of how many braces can be left out ??!!

TG20 states ledger brace every other standard, unless its a pavement lift ??!!

A design is required??!!

Thanks Vinny

There are a lot of other threads about this subject.

From memory, you would do well to get a hold of a spec sheet from the manufacturer.

I believe you didn't need ledger bracing if the scaffold was unsheeted.

Recent revisions (TG20 etc) may have changed this although I'm not sure double enders are classed as a system scaffold therefore not all guidance in TG20 might not apply

no test data

Please see below for information and training purposes only, I have highlighted the key facts in bold.

generation have withdrawn there claim that ledger bracing can be omitted

Sent: 11 January 2012 10:26

Subject: Readylok details

Attachments: Readylok.pdf; TG20-08 Readyloks.jpg

Further to our conversation earlier attached is our updated flyer that does not claim to eliminate Ledger Bracing

The available test data was not sufficient to confirm this claim, consequently this was withdrawn, however many scaffolder’s still believe that it is acceptable and safe to eliminate in some instances.

We cannot make this claim and have withdrawn this detail.

Hope this helps

Regards

Jeff Wood
Quality Engineer

Can someone point me in the direction or give advice on the use of easy fix transoms and the ommssion of ledger braces.

I have trawled through guidance and TG20 :weird:,

Can someone offer definitive guidance :idea:, items i`ve read or been told as follows

The suppliers of fix should provide guidance on load capacity of the fix to assist in the decsion of how many braces can be left out ??!!

TG20 states ledger brace every other standard, unless its a pavement lift ??!!

A design is required??!!

Thanks Vinny

You will find many threads about this but here it is,
There is as far as I can tell NO adequate data on the subject to allow the omission of ledger bracing.
The claim that ledger bracing was not required predates my time in the industry (1974) there were no tests carried out to prove the claim and no "adequate" tests since.
The advent of TG20 removed the latitude given to such products and tests and evidence were called for.
I am given to believe that there is some inclusion in the yet to be released TG20:13.
The original data for Readylok was as follows:
Ledger bracing could be omitted for un-sheeted scaffolds up to 30m
ALL sheeted scaffolds would need to be braced or adequately tied (every lift every line)
Scaffolds above 30 m could be braced at the lower levels allowing the top 30m to be unbraced.

Remember at this time Readylok does not fall within the guidelines of TG20.
You will need a design for anything outside of the limited coverage of TG20
regards
Alan

If there is still no test data when the time comes, then i guess I'll know what to do for a thesis for my degree.

At this time.

Readylok scaffolds require ledger bracing unless a design allows its removal (unlikely with a standard TG20 tie pattern).

If you use easy fix transums then the scaffold needs to be a design! Any scaffold with any prefab components has to be a design! Stupid I know just done it on my advanced inspection.

Seem to remember on other threads, dogs first 5 lifts then left out for rest of the job. Think it was jakdan. But then ,is it not the tie pattern that would govern stability??

Hi
Having been an Engineer at SGB for a while I repost for those that missed it the first time

The original data for Readylok was as follows:
Ledger bracing could be omitted for un-sheeted scaffolds up to 30m
ALL sheeted scaffolds would need to be braced or adequately tied (every lift every line)
Scaffolds above 30 m could be braced at the lower levels allowing the top 30m to be unbraced.

Dog Bones was what Readylok was known as
Dog leg is the bracing pattern

Not so sure that a design is required for all scaffolds with prefabricated components.
TG20 section 17&18 refer to prefabricated components and refer you to manufacturers guidance.

regards
Alan

Top Bottom