Driver CPC

superscaff75

Reaction score
I was invited to a training company yesterday to discuss the driver cpc training and the funding available for it, As you probably aware of its is based around hire an reward transport, rather than carrying your own goods so therefore it is a grey area when it comes to likes of scaffolding companies wether to get it or not, I mentioned the forum to the chap I was seeing and we would both like to know what all you people have or are doing about wether you getting it, got it or not thinking bout it, and why .

The deal we been offered is £125-00 per driver, the rest is paid by funding, So im going to get it sorted while its that price ( usually around £600-00 i think ) As eventually I think it will become yet another nescessity of our working lives, yet another 5 yearly cost, Anyone getting it done now will get it renewed 5 year after 2014, therefore 2019 as it doesnt actually become law till 2014

do haveing this make your insurace any cherp mate cause someone told me the other week it do cheers

Good post superscaff can you pm or post the details please , i wasent going to bother as it seems like another cash cow to be milked , but at that price its worth the doing :)

thats what i thought bud, cos im sure sooner or later we will get nabbed and it will cost 3 times more, The chap said i could post his name and number to anyone who needs it, he is quite interested to know what scaffolding companies or similar companies carrying own goods are doing about it at present.

must of left his card in car phillio will pm you later ok

I think you can all relax and save your money as scaffolders are one of the trades that are exempt from the Driver CPC.

DVTA Driver CPC - Exemptions

"carrying material or equipment to be used by that person in the course of his or her work, provided that driving that vehicle does not constitute the driver's principal activity".

The whole Driver CPC thing is a farce and just amount to a tax on a driver's job and one truck drivers forum I am a member of is organising a protest next year at the way it is implemented (as if it will make any difference which it wont IMO).

Truckersworld Forums

From the threads, quite a few (or at least they say) are going to leave the industry rather than pay for 35 hours of training by the September 2014 deadline.

BTW, £125 seems expensive (have seen region of £80 mentioned) and you can shop around for course providers and get quotes and also for relevant courses. - not just drivers hours stuff.

Search for Approved Centres & Courses

easier still sell all your trucks

Ive never seen it that cheap before, but to be fair ive hardly really looked since when cpc was first mentioned year ago,

I said in my post it was a grey area us having a cpc but if its cheap it was worth looking into.

Both me and the chap i spoke to were hoping this thread would help indicate what other scaffold companies are doing about it, apparently england is the only country in europe that doesnt use the cpc so i dont think that protest will get much ear time do you.

I just think it is a matter of time before they change it so us scaffolders have to have a cpc , therefore if the cheap deals are about at moment im gonna sort it in case i pay more later down the road unless im told by vosa or someone I 100% dont need it.

trevor which is best trucking forum to squint at with regards to info on everything to do with wagons, buying ,selling, maintaining, law etc etc sometimes go on rta and rha

superscaff

The price you quoted at the beginning of the thread, is that for all 35 hours?
and can individuals do the training and apply for funding? or is it only for companies?

It is a sort of grey area that one because as companies tend to get bigger, they will use dedicated drivers on deliveries all day, and then as I read it these drivers would need CPC training

vosa told me that dedicated drivers (i.e not scaffs driving a lorry as part of there work) would need to do driver cpc

My comments in blue
Ive never seen it that cheap before, but to be fair ive hardly really looked since when cpc was first mentioned year ago,

One part of the truckersworld forum is "dedicated" to reviewing Driver CPC courses they have gone on.
Truckersworld Forums View topic - Review and "RECOMMENDED" Trainers
There is also a NOT recommended thread!

I said in my post it was a grey area us having a cpc but if its cheap it was worth looking into.
I can't see the grey area. Is far as I can tell, scaffs are in the clear!

Both me and the chap i spoke to were hoping this thread would help indicate what other scaffold companies are doing about it, apparently england is the only country in europe that doesnt use the cpc so i dont think that protest will get much ear time do you.
There is a certain amount of autonomy that EU member states have with regard to implementing the Driver CPC. The UK has decided on the arrangement we have now with compulsory training which is not however assessed - mere attendance on the course is enough.

The protest is the "baby" of truckersworld's administrator and quite a few have voiced sceptism as to how effective the protest will be. Apparently, trake-up on the Driver CPC courses is well down on epected levels and without adequate publicity there may not be enough time for people to get "trained" before the deadline. So, come 2014 there may be a wild panic with associated price rises - or else the lifeblood of the economy gets vastly reduced, which could be interesting.

I just think it is a matter of time before they change it so us scaffolders have to have a cpc , therefore if the cheap deals are about at moment im gonna sort it in case i pay more later down the road unless im told by vosa or someone I 100% dont need it.
No point in spending money on it now unless/until people have no choice. From the truckersworld forum, it is the cost that is the biggest bugbear.

trevor which is best trucking forum to squint at with regards to info on everything to do with wagons, buying ,selling, maintaining, law etc etc sometimes go on rta and rha
Truckersworld is a forum for drivers and other interested parties in a similar vein to this forum. Although most are drivers, there are VOSA and police officers there and most would be able to provide advice and banter in the same way as any other forum.

There is also what used to be trucknet:
Resources for HGV, LGV and van drivers | Roadtransport.com

When I first looked in to this I dismissed it as scaffs don't need it as driving is not the principal activity and when transporting your own material it is not for hire and reward. The problem with that is similar to our own trade when dealing with over zealous safety guy's and clients who impose all sorts of restrictions on our working practices and additions to our job's. A while back the police stopped me for a hit on their NPR, they reckoned I had no tax despite a current disc. After a good 30 minutes at the side of the road they eventually ascertained the problem was with their records and not my disc. He was delighted to find I didn't have a tacho in and was going to charge me with that offence. Whilst waiting another good 20 minutes for back up to arrive(in the shape of a panda and a 4x4) I found a drivers hand book from the FTA which clearly said when operating within 30 miles of your centre and hauling your own goods you don't need a tacho. It took another 20 minutes to persuade him that the small cherry picker on the back was mine and not for hire or reward. The (long winded) story is my reason for changing my mind as with other forms of legislation it's just easier to get them as it is educating the thicko's who police our activities as to why we know we really don't need them.

Top Bottom