Down rated vehicle.

Tony Mason

Reaction score
Hi chaps, any one ever owned a down rated lorry/half back. Did you have any trouble insuring it. thanks Tony.

Local builder has one but never done it myself, a bit complicated but if it's already done I don't think you will have a hassle. Why don't you speak to your insurer?

Ive seen one for sale and its just what im looking for. Its been down rated already, log book shows 3.5t. Ive spoken to insurance and its a bit of a problem. They want to see paper work from the ministry detailing whats been done. Nice truck it would be a shame to let it go!!

The paper work is essential, no real problem as long as it's been done right. Wheel studs changed, brakes suspension and all certification, if it has none of these then it's a pig in a poke no matter how well dressed. I would go and see it with a good fitter to keep me right and if it's all in order just get it as the insurance company won't have a problem but they will ask.

The chap selling it says the only thing that has changed is the paper work, log book. The vehicle it self has not changed. Im going to get a few more quotes and see how we get on. You've got to be on the right side of the law thats for sure. Thanks for the advice aom.

He may be right for down rated but I doubt it what would stop us all down rating getting cheaper insurance then loading it to the backside. We looked in to uprating but turned into too much hassle. As you say, stay on the right side of the law and check everything the seller tells you, I find a good fitter is invaluable at times like this, mine has saved me a fortune when buying but got most of it back in repair bills anyway.

Had a few down rated motors , take it downrated from 4.6 ton ?
Our insurers never had a problem try the NFU bout best out there at min

Top Bottom