• PAYE - my employer paid - NASC company

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • PAYE - my company paid but I am repaying them through wages

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BetterTAX

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm doing some research into fees for training courses.

I thought it best to start a poll.

Hopefully I have covered all eventualities.

This poll is regarding CISRS training... I intend to start another on offshore stuff: BOSIET, MIST and medicals.

Thanks for your assistance. :)

hahaha! just looked at the signature link... all wonky cos of ads on the right!

Last edited:
My company paid for my advanced, supervisors and haki course's. And im fortunate enought that i dont have to pay it back . Comp....malvern scaffolding ltd

Thanks to everyone who has done the poll, most helpful :)

Cant take part in this survey Rosie as I aint got a ticket. This means i'm thousands of pounds in pocket with no refreshers to fork out for. Quids in and still able to turn a nut.;);)
Street basha's RULE:D:D

Whats the survey for?

Thanks for doing this for me - most helpful :).

Cant take part in this survey Rosie as I aint got a ticket. This means i'm thousands of pounds in pocket with no refreshers to fork out for. Quids in and still able to turn a nut.;);)
Street basha's RULE:D:D

Whats the survey for?

ya still on the spanner fred marra i fort ya was sitting in a site office making little spanner sets lol

What are you looking for Rosie and why differentiate between nasc and not?

Hi aom,

It really boils down to HMRC becoming ever more difficult and stringent with their interpretations of allowable expenses.

I wanted to know the breakdowns because we get lots of scaffs who are paying for their own training and one of the NASC criteria is that member companies pay for their workforce training - I was trying to ascertain how many NASC employees have paid for their own training (whilst employed).

I would think it's actually quite hard to get employment with an NASC company unless you are trained already?

I've just been reading the TRAD/ NASC thread. TRAD state they do pay for their workforce training (somewhere they said that, possibly their first post). I guess it might be interesting to know how many of their workforce require training.

I think they will be an asset to the forum, they are interacting and could certainly take forum scaffolders' views back to NASC committee.

Anyway, that's about the long and short of it - nothing sinister!

I can't decide whether their thread was naive or just poorly executed so I am staying out of that one, the boys know my views and I have pointed more than one in what I believe to be the right direction.

I see your point and have voted in the poll, but I think your approach might be a wee bit simplistic to gain any great knowledge. All NASC companies will train the right guys, no doubt about it, they need the right balance of all levels of cards to pass an audit. That though has no bearing on why I for example train all the boys, it's purely because the funding is available, I pay my CITB levy and that would just be another tax unless I accessed the funding available and directed it back to this small back water. Maybe agencies and guys themselves jumping from ship to ship would have a bigger bearing on who gets trained and who doesn't as it actually costs very little but time to complete a scaffs training all the way to advanced level should the gaffer think they are able.

Hope you get what you are looking for.

Thanks for that detailed reply.

The problem we have with HMRC (lol well one of them!) is the unfair way tax deductions work.

Companies get tax breaks on training staff (and funding it also seems ;)), SE/ CIS get tax breaks but PAYE is a whole other thing...

Sorry, can't help you with that one. All I know is companies as you say get the tax breaks and the funding and I have never really fully understood why so many guys struggle to get trained nowadays.

Top Bottom