Disregarding 2013

joebag

Reaction score
As it being only guidance wrapped up in a smokescreen that says its law,
if scaffs disreguard the new guidance coming soon supposedly do you think that would break nascs stranglehold on us......
alternatively if we all follow the new guidance would that then reinforce and help nasc tighten their grip and make this self serving organisation the ruling body that will then set laws rules and regs for scaffs......
if you think im biased you read it wrong;)

Unfortunately joe,the hse endorse whatever the nasc say,it's a ridiculous scenario when a lone organisation can dictate whatever they like to the whole industry unopposed,and the hse take it as gospel,it's the moving of the goalposts all the time that does my head in,but rest assured,whatever b*llox they come up with the industry will blindly follow:(

Not sure that's quite how it works boys, although I think most will agree TG:20 has been hard work.

The kind of sites ive been working on lately its all irrelevant , roofer nearly finished the roof before i finished his access to the roof , worried if he fell he might land on me .

That's hard work as well. Much the same on the drillers, never forget seeing sparkies out on my goal posts when I came back from an inbetweenie.

"In the Kingdom of the blind the one eyed man is king"

The scaffolding sector is a very fragmented Industry with every man for themselves attitude.

For most of my scaffolding career I built scaffolds that conformed to BS 5973. As to how they were built was another matter.We were taught by those that went before us,using common sense,a respect for heights,looked after the lads we worked with and those that our actions affected. A different time,A different job specification

From Jan 2011 BS 5973 was superseded by BS EN12811-1:2003 both of these are "performance Documents," (of the structure) Our EU masters imposed this standard on us with very little input from our MP,s or construction industry.

If your scaffolds conform to BS EN12811-1:2003,and you have
safe systems of work for erecting, altering or dismantling in place, using trained personnel,you are operating legally in my opinion.

NASC developed a system of work that it believes is the best,and should be adopted as a National standard.How they are going about this as we all know is another kettle of fish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
source Federation of Master Builders (F.M.B.)

"From 1st January 2011 the Health and Safety Executive will no longer acknowledge BS 5973:1993 as a recognised standard for the design of tube and fitting scaffolding structures.

This will be replaced by From January 2011 with the standard for scaffolds built in the UK BS EN12811-1:2003.

BS EN12811-1:2003 is, however, a performance document and does not give detailed advice on safe systems of work for erecting, altering or dismantling tubes and fittings scaffolds.

The National Access and Scaffolding Confederation (NASC) has produced a good practice guide - TG20:08: Technical Guidance on the use of BS EN12811-1."

Last edited:
As it being only guidance wrapped up in a smokescreen that says its law,
if scaffs disreguard the new guidance coming soon supposedly do you think that would break nascs stranglehold on us......
alternatively if we all follow the new guidance would that then reinforce and help nasc tighten their grip and make this self serving organisation the ruling body that will then set laws rules and regs for scaffs......
if you think im biased you read it wrong;)

STOP YOU WORKING IN THE RAIN THOU :laugh:

Join the SA & potentially have a voice. The only way to brake the grip of the nasc is to sanction & help the formation of another trade body which has the ability to put alternative ideas to the hse

The sa price range is out of reach for most individual scaffs, deliberate or just out of touch I dont know?

No joe @ the moment its aimed @ the companies, & as the membership grows & the commitees are fully formed its my understanding that individuals membership will be offerd,so will be able to go to meetings & raise/voice issues

The king is dead, long live the king.

Top Bottom