Digital Tacho's

HatterScaff

Reaction score
Feck me, another rip - off, more cards & more money:mad:

Just about to trade in our old faithfull and the new trucks got a digi tacho

I've just applied for the drivers digital cards & the company card, ordered the print out rolls and add blue !

Now i'm told I need a card reader, a download tool, software to analyise :eek:

Anyone know how the f*uck to do this, where to get it from, why the c*unts at vosa wanted to change it anyway, rant, rant & more rant:(

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

I always thought there were some ways round it , being within 30 km radius of your depot an if your a scaffolder , drive to job erect it an go home , or was I being bullshitted
It was many years ago though

that was only for 7.5 tonne or under lorries and was a 50km from your base , but you still had to keep a log book of all your journeys
And iam pretty sure they have scrapped that now

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

These guys do the lot hatter

Digital Tachograph Products

I feel your pain Hatterscaff, I got a brand new volvo down to cover me whilst my new one was getting ready and couldn't believe it when it arrived with some wee spotty faced student. My first question was how do you work the crane, his answer, i dunno. The next question was, how come I can't open the speedo to but in my tacho, because it's digital. FFS, I had to apply for a card just for a month and get a mate who runs a haulage business to down load it for me. I think you can run for either 7 or 14 day's on the printouts but it did make me glad I bought the newest truck I could that didn't have the digital which is an 06. We are all going to get it eventually so when you suss it out Hatterscaff give me a shout.:cool:

right o alistar, i think i have the sp :

Digital Tacho’s

This is my belief of how it goes…..

You can find the rules here : Drivers and digital tachographs | Business Link

• If you operate a vehicle manufactured after 2004 it should have had a digital tacho fitted VU (vehicle unit)

• If you operate within 50km of your base, you may not need to record your hours, but you do need to have a drivers digital smart card on the drivers person

If you are carry your own goods (materials) for your use (you are putting up the scaffold) then you are exempt from the CPC training, if the driver is employed as a hgv driver just delivering or collecting materials then they will need to do CPC training, you can find more on this here : Driver CPC: the basics | Business Link

• The first thing you need to obtain is a drivers SMART card for all of your drivers

If the drivers have the new style photo ID card & counterpart licence you can download the form here : http://www.dvla.gov.uk/dvla/forms/~/media/pdf/forms/D777B.ashx
At £38.00 ago !

If they have the old style pink & green sheet (no photo id) they will need to order the form ST1A pack, which will be posted to them, you can submit your request here : https://www.dvla.gov.uk/dvla/online...vj6d=2269667c1f6f01b9340c9e863fba7d055b746130

THE DRIVER MUST CARRY THE CARDS WITH THEM WHILST THEY ARE DRIVING

• The second thing you will need to obtain is a company card for downloading the VU, you will need to order the form ST2A pack, which will be posted to you, you can submit your request here : https://www.dvla.gov.uk/dvla/online...vj6d=2269667c1f6f01b9340c9e863fba7d055b746130
Another £38!

• The third thing you will need is paper for the VU, you must carry a spare roll of paper in the cab at all times, here is an example from one supplier, but do shop around for best prices : Digital Printer Rolls - Printer Rolls - Digital Products
Usually about a £5 for 3 rolls

The drivers don’t need to print anything off usually (unless something goes wrong with the VU) as all the info will be stored on their driver SMART card

Next you need to download the information regularly, Drivers cards every 28 days, the vehicle unit every 56 days

Some suppliers may get you to buy a downloading tool and a card reader and the software to read them, unless your running loads of lorries you wont need all this, and the law only requires you to download and safely keep the info, not do anything with it!

• This tool enables you to download the VU and read the driver card all in one, it also records the data to a micro SD card, which you can save onto your computer hard drive as a back-up, again you need to shop around and there is more than one tool that can do this : Actia DBox2 - Downloading Devices - Digital Products
It’s around £200

And so far that’s all I have got, If I missed anything or you know something else, please let us know

Rules on Drivers hours & Tacho’s
More info here : http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/Transport_Theme_files/Goods_vehicles_tachograph_hours_1111_3.pdf

Nice one Hatterscaff. I take it the copied text is from the same business link? The reason I ask is again for where to go when someone asks why we haven't done the cpc training which still messes my head and also it mentions all vehicles after 2004 must be digital but mine is 2006 with an analogue.

Nice one Hatterscaff. I take it the copied text is from the same business link? The reason I ask is again for where to go when someone asks why we haven't done the cpc training which still messes my head and also it mentions all vehicles after 2004 must be digital but mine is 2006 with an analogue.

the text is my own:embarrest:, so the 2004 could be 2006, anyhows you dont need to change your existing tacho, but your newer lorries will come with digi tacho's:mad:

the last link at the bottom, if you follow that and go to page 15 in the 6th paragraph, this covers the exemption for drivers using own goods:idea:

I read it as within 50 km of your base which we regularly exceed.

Yeah but they would be exempt from the cpc as they work off the back of the wagon
They would still need to operate the tacho

mugged off,lol:bigsmile:

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

still need digi tacho in even if staying local and cpc if hgv driver regardless of job description/trade

Top Bottom