Designed scaffolds

TG6

Reaction score
I've come across a slightly worrying situation a couple of times in recent months regarding designed scaffolds and wonder whether it represents common practice. What are your thoughts?

A scaffold has been designed incorporating beamwork to carry unusual loads in slightly unusual situations. The contract has been awarded to a scaffold company. The scaffolder arrives on site and erects the scaffold without reference to the drawings, putting ladder beams where the drawing asks for 780 beams, changing bay lengths from the size asked for to a larger size and replacing anchored ties to lip ties.

When questioned about the lack of match between the drawing and the scaffold by an inexperienced site manager, the scaffolder proceeds to bully the manager into accepting what has been built with various lines like 'steel beams are much stronger than ali', 'these designers always over design', 'I've never had a problem with tying like that - much stronger than drop in anchors cos they're always failing', I've been scaffolding since before you were born mate', etc etc.

Do you price the drawings or do you only price what you think that you will get away with by force of personality on site (and stuff the consequences)?

In an ideal world, if the jobs complicated, i'd get the client to pay for the design and price from that. But things like loading bays, you knoow whats going in it so you can price accordingly.

But i'd be looking to use another scaffold company if i was you pal, it's alright " modifying" a design, but there's only one place the **** stops when it starts to fall, when somethings gone wrong!! Whats the point in paying for a design and calculations if the firm is putting up whatever it wants.

Most of us know how too put a job up to suit whatever it's needed to do, and nothing ever goes wrong, but one time something does that expensive cad drawing is your umbrella and stop the **** landing on you!

Unfortunately as bad as that sounds, modern day life is all about deflecting the ****!

Last edited:
It can be awkward pricing sometimes trying to predict what a designer will want on a job ,
But if you price it needs win it you can't just erect it how you see it you got to follow the design simple ,
If your have the design cost in your price just have a chat with the designer before you tender and you should be know more or less what's required.

Thanks for the comments chaps. To clarify the situations, in both cases the principal contractor has had the designs done so that the scaffolders should have had no doubt about what was required when they priced it, when they arrived on site to erect it and when they signed it off. Apparently not so. That I have seen it happen twice in quick succession with different scaffolders may just be a coincidence and I was hoping that it is not an indication of a new and general trend

In both cases I am doing other temporary works designs on the jobs and have been asked to help the site manager to deal with the scaffolders. It is making me old before my time. :)

HSWT has said it all, the scaffold contractor/s have failed to deliver the specified goods. Issue a letter that they are in breach of contract followed by a withholding notice of all funds and request the scaffolds are returned to design specs immediately. Should remedial works not start then you must instruct another contractor to complete the works. Claims for delay and disruption must be assessed on completion of the works along with any 'critical path' delay to following trades.
Based on the detail of your experience my gut feeling is the scaffolder you have contracted to do the works should have been weeded out before contract was placed.

I was always told not to deviate from the drawing and any changes must be approved by the engineer.its not hard is it;)

@ happy…yip, good work square work and conforms to the working drawing ;)

Design drawings must be excited to the letter and or authorised alterations subject to Design Drawing amendments…

Scaffold Structure to be inspected cross refferencing Design Drawing and TG 13 considerations…one can't Commission and periodically Inspect as per a Structure other than the Design Drawing…

@ Weaverbix…was that the thread about the influx of EU Scaffs to our shores ???…or which thread been so many eh :nuts:

Get them to rectify it to the drawn or bullet them & get another contractor to do the work, you'l no be insured, the job might be sound but if anything does go Pete tong your ass is grass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom