Deduction of pay

Mattchidley

Reaction score
Just wandering if any of you lads on here have had this. We've recently had a new safety officer join our company and we've all had a letter in our wage slips sayin that if we do something wrong I.e wrong ppe or not adhering to method statements/risk assessments were going to be asked to leave site for a day and have a days wages took off us. Are they allowed to take money off you as I thought they couldn't touch your wages?

check your contract
PPE SHOULD BE PROVIDED BY THE EMPLOYER failure to comply may be breech of your contract
NON COMPLIANCE WITH R/As and Method statements is also dodgey and to be sent home without pay could be the best outcome.
ALL THIS PAPERWORK IS FOR THE COMPANY AND FOR INSURANCE IF YOU DEVIATE AND HAVE SIGNED SAYING YOU AGREE TO THEM YOU CAN AND WILL BE HUNG OUT TO DRY
probably not what you want to hear but its the way of things now mate;)

I wouldn't of thought so, unless its writen into a amended contract and you've signed it.

I worked for dixons in southampton and it was in our contract that if we were caught without a single peice of ppe on we would be deducted 1 days wage.

if you adhere to rams before you start work you should be ok its all part of pre planning but this policy isn't such a bad thing because if they don't have all the required ppe on a certain date you get paid and do nothing until it is supplied what you have to remember is that this is their rules and are mandatory but as for loosing a days pay is a no,lets say you get caught at 3pm the only monies that can be deducted are from the time you are asked to leave site and if they take a full days pay from you coming up towards the end of your shift I can categorically tell you now this is whats known as unlawful deductions and no one can take your hrs off you that you have worked.
If you call C.A.B they will put you through to a an employment negotiator and if he feels this is a breech of employment contract they will appoint an employment solicitor who will write to them explaining a legal obligation to the company to pay for hrs worked and if they fail to do so that's when the sabre rattling begins and no company wants this its expensive , like I said ITS A LEGAL OBLIGATION TO BE PAID FOR HRS WORKED.
What it sounds like is this new man is trying to make a name for himself and rule with an iron fist and what you need to do is have a onsite meeting and ask the management to show you in the employment act where it is written that they can deduct monies for hrs worked,there isn't one so stick to your guns and I can tell you now this new gun with the company will start to have his ears rattled as time goes on, and remember not the right equipment ppe and this means materials turn this against the company and don't do the job and watch the man hrs diminish and no company will tolerate this so apart from ppe I would be looking for un banded boards split boards un serviced fittings bent ladders bent tube sharp edges on tube adhere to their rules with rams but also they have to adhere by law to supply the right materials use this in your favour all the best scc

Just wandering if any of you lads on here have had this. We've recently had a new safety officer join our company and we've all had a letter in our wage slips sayin that if we do something wrong I.e wrong ppe or not adhering to method statements/risk assessments were going to be asked to leave site for a day and have a days wages took off us. Are they allowed to take money off you as I thought they couldn't touch your wages?

with our firm you do something wrong your normally suspended on full paye why they look into it!!! sent home without paye sounds a bit harsh but this day and age anythings possible they make there own rules up sounds a jobs worth as has been quoted above:nuts:

I would guess that if you wore and used the PPE provided to you, it would not be an issue.

It is always worth remembering that the PPE provided by YOUR COMPANY for YOUR protection is a requirement and it is YOUR responsibility to wear and use it.

As an employee and not an employer, obviously i get my ppe provided and i wear it as reccomended. But if your self employed and you provide your own ppe, could you still have money deducted, as your not working to the companys RAMS. Or would it be a sraight dismisal.

As an employee and not an employer, obviously i get my ppe provided and i wear it as reccomended. But if your self employed and you provide your own ppe, could you still have money deducted, as your not working to the companys RAMS. Or would it be a sraight dismisal.

Whilst the provision of PPE for self employed May or may not fall to the individual the use of it falls under H&S or WAH, This may come directly under the site control or indeed the law.

I am not an advocate for financial deductions but have indeed been know to fall on the side of dismissal. some will say hard, but not as hard as making the call to a workmates family.

Last edited:
Yeh in the worse case sinario it is.ive never agreed with direct fines on individuals for non complience, but if the guys are continuing to get pulled on it what ur failing to understand is its a contractual & legal obligation to both provide & wear it. As a company if i didnt nip it in the bud the chances are that that main contractor may not use our services again & so cost the company money- so wot theyre trying to make u do is be financially aware of the implications gor non complience.....i tend to see more & more street scaffs wearing it now that camera phones & utube often assist the hse in proscecutions

Do you work for a little street company by any chance? Its normally these type of companies that play these stupid little games.

Could also be its coming into winter are you quiet? I bet they wouldnt be sending you home in the middle of summer when there flat out would they?

Top Bottom