cpc

steve198622

Reaction score
just found out 2day that all drivers need to do the cpc course, i seen a post on here the other week were someone said we don't need it cos our main job aint driving, but as we drive a wagon by 2014 all wagon drivers have to have it!!

Yea could do with a bit of info about that as well.

i will have a word with my boss 2mora sometime about it n as soon as i know what he says i will post it on here for all to know!

I looked in to it Steve and you don't need it if you drive to a job work off the truck and then drive home but as per usual they will not spell it out for you they still recommend seeking legal advice to decide if you need training or not. Got to be the biggest joke yet.

just found out 2day that all drivers need to do the cpc course, i seen a post on here the other week were someone said we don't need it cos our main job aint driving, but as we drive a wagon by 2014 all wagon drivers have to have it!!

I refer the honourable gentleman to the previous thread.
http://www.scaffoldersforum.com/scaffolding-qualifications-scaffolding-training-courses/12565-cpc.html

The big question you have to ask is "Do I have to pay for it?"

If it is the company, then by all means go for it. That way you can become a professional trucker and watch your racing snake physique degenerate into Mr Blobby. You'll be on your own for most of the time - forget the craic you probably enjoy now. You'll need to learn how to sh1t in a carrier bag at a layby as truck-stops are closing down. Also, on job adverts you'll see the phrase "meets minimum wage" quite a lot. :unsure:

Aom is right if you drive for a living and your job is a driver then you need it , but one thing i thought of is if it would make the lorry insurance would be reduced :wondering:

It all relates to your Tacho if you drive it every day then yes you need it but if you drive it now and again say 3 day a week then no.. Thats how I read it..

Not sure about that one either Tac, if you need training you need it regardless of how often you do it. Tacho's are another minefield and best ripped up at the end of the week.

I totally agree with you aom ripping them up, but I have one wagon with the electronic card type.
I drive one of my 7.5 tonne with grandfather right (car licence before 91) and I have been told if I want to continue driving every day I will have to do the CPC 1 day course which will last for 3 years or do the 3 day course and it will last for 5 years.

Was it the training provider that told you it had to be done?

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

I have to be honest and say if you are using the new tacho drivers cards you are best getting some training on it, we hired a wagon and it was a bit of a nightmare until the local haulier stepped in with some really good advice, but other than that I can't see the benefit.

It all relates to your Tacho if you drive it every day then yes you need it but if you drive it now and again say 3 day a week then no.. Thats how I read it..

Are you sure about that? What matters is your main function. Whether you drive trucks between the depot and the site, but then stay on site, or whether once you arrive on site, drop off tubes, fitting etc and then drive off elsewhere.

All drivers of HGVs (even occasional ones) still have to comply with hours rules and erecting scaffolds will (or should) amount to "other work". HGV drivers are prone to be stopped by the police or VOSA for routine checks to ensure they comply with the hours regulations.

With the driver CPC, (for those it applies to) 35 hours of training is required to be taken before 9th September 2014. This is normally taken as 5 days of 7 hours each.

Don't let yourselves get ripped off. :(

It was our local HGV driving learning school who told us, I don,t need it if I don,t drive the wagon every day for my job but I do drive the wagon to the location so the scaffs can do there jobs my name is on the tacho all day every day. So I was told if I drive it for 3-4 days a week I sould be ok.... it getting more confusing every day.... All I want to do is to have a decent living for me and my family that's why I set it up in the first place.. If its gets worse I will be looking to work for someone else....

It was our local HGV driving learning school who told us, I don,t need it if I don,t drive the wagon every day for my job but I do drive the wagon to the location so the scaffs can do there jobs my name is on the tacho all day every day. So I was told if I drive it for 3-4 days a week I sould be ok.... it getting more confusing every day.... All I want to do is to have a decent living for me and my family that's why I set it up in the first place.. If its gets worse I will be looking to work for someone else....

Who will be affected?

If most of the time on your tacho is "other work" rather than driving because you only use the truck to transport materials to the site, then I don't believe you need it. What matters is not that you drive the truck every day but whether most (or all) your day is driving. What proportion of your day IS driving?

All training organisations have a vested interest to get people signed up. Take up on the driver CPC is very low and they are desperate to get a return on their set up costs. If your employer has insisted on it (and expects you to pay) enquire as to their justification. The benefit of going through the course is that it would enable you to drive professionally. The cost (I've done one at £67) is not too bad when spread out over a few years but why do it if you don't have to?

Many thanks Trev.

This is what I need to show them ripping off tw@ts.

Trevor is right the fact you drive every day is not the issue , i drive my 18 tonne lorry between 1 and 4 hours a day every day but iam not a lorry driver iam a scaffolder , if you are employed as a lorry driver then you wont get employed after 2014 without it , it is for people that drive for a living ,coach drivers , long distance drivers , that type of people

I have a feeling there will be many more threads about this the closer we get to sept' 2014.

My arguement would be to flash my scaffolder card which I got ripped off to get and say that this is my job and the fact that I drive is a mere hinderence that occurs at various points during the day whilst I am house bashing. :mad:

I have a feeling you may be right there spunkywads and I think that's the way the powers that be seem to like it.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

Tac, don't let the bas tards get you down.

Cheers for you support aom.... but you see people doing all sorts of illegal things and getting away with it and some good honest blokes like us doing our best to keep a business running, keeping men employed and getting stung with everything, you turn one corner and you are faced with another problem waiting to turn another corner.. It just get me down now and again..

Top Bottom